Yolbert Sanchez (Cuban defector)

SilverRocket

31 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

So I'm sure some will be really pumped about this post, but I've been thinking....

With posts of handshake agreements and maybe being a few years out, would it be in the best interest of Elias/Orioles to trade money to the White Sox?  I know we have lots of happy people about Zoellner, but are there players they have we might be interested in?

Miami found teams that would offer $$, so I'm sure other teams could do it.  If Sanchez wants to start this year, he and the WS have incentive to make a deal this round of money.  Obviously, I understand that people would prefer, actual international signings.  However, getting something beats nothing (if you wish to argue JZ is negative value,fine...not the point of this post...hold your anger!! haha). 

I'd still like to see a few international signings, but doubt we can get through the money without being wasteful.  How did people feel about the players the Marlins gave up for the Mesas?

The White Sox are in the penalty box and can’t spend more than 300K on any prospect. They don’t need or want slot allocations.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

My bad, I guess I misquoted.  I was under the impression that he was little older than that.

However, 22 is still better than 23 for start date, especially if he's starting in the minors.  I think it could be a factor to help drive his cost down at least a little bit

NP. I have been hoping for months (read: since Gaston and the Brother Mesa signed elsewhere) that some high-end talent  would become available this winter and that Orioles would be the favorite to sign because they are the only team that has the money allowance to sign them. Sanchez seems like our latest hope for the team to sign a legitimate athlete (supposedly is tremendously fast, though not much of a base-stealer to date). And if he really is a plus-defender at shortstop,  then he is exactly the type of player I think the Orioles should invest in. Maybe he is young enough that he may be able to increase his strength and improve his swing enough that a team could accept middling offensive production in return for top-level defensive output.  Every single year of life helps when we are considering the potential of a prospect, so I am going to keep telling myself he is just a scrawny 21-year old future Oriole who can pick it, can fly and can't hit for shit...yet. Sometimes, I am an optimist. ? 

Also, I am hoping they do something with the Gausman "money" to make the trade a success. I am probably taking the international pool $ part of things a little too personally. I didn't vote in the poll grading the Gausman trade because it seemed the value hinged on the Cubans, etc. that they might sign. One legit MLB player acquired via the pool money would basically even the trade out unto itself, imo.

15 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

The White Sox are in the penalty box and can’t spend more than 300K on any prospect. They don’t need or want slot allocations.

The $300k max is why I find the claim that Sanchez has a commitment with the White Sox dubious. Is there something I may be missing from the initial equation?

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

The $300k max is why I find the claim that Sanchez has a commitment with the White Sox dubious. Is there something I may be missing from the initial equation?

No, I agree it’s questionable at best, we’ll see what happens.

I don’t see us signing any player to more than the MLB min the rest of the offseason.  So I’d thinknwe throw some money at Sanchez and some of the Dodgers players that can sign elsewhere. If they’re worried about money, Trade/DFA Wright and Rickard. Two players in Arb that can be replaced my guys making less. There’s your money. 

It is interesting to hear Elias say (repeatedly IMO) that we have the cash on hand to spend our international allotment if we want to but that there may be other better uses for the $ to be productive if invested elsewhere.  Elias certainly has tempered expectations on being active for remaining big $ international signings - maybe he is just being coy.  

Really interested to see what happens with the Dodgers situation.  The Commissioner has such a dislike for the Os IMO that it would not surprise me if the Dodgers punishment took into consideration that the Os would be in a position to benefit the most if five to 10 decent international prospects were put back on the market.  And, as a result, reduced LAD's future spend as a punishment instead.

1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

It is interesting to hear Elias say (repeatedly IMO) that we have the cash on hand to spend our international allotment if we want to but that there may be other better uses for the $ to be productive if invested elsewhere.  Elias certainly has tempered expectations on being active for remaining big $ international signings - maybe he is just being coy.  

Really interested to see what happens with the Dodgers situation.  The Commissioner has such a dislike for the Os IMO that it would not surprise me if the Dodgers punishment took into consideration that the Os would be in a position to benefit the most if five to 10 decent international prospects were put back on the market.  And, as a result, reduced LAD's future spend as a punishment instead.

I think he would be hard pressed to explain deviating from the precedent he set with Atlanta.  Especially if the punishment is lighter.  Additionally, the matter is under the magnifying glass of the FBI.  It seems to me that any change in the punishments to result from this will, if anything, be harsher.

On 1/24/2019 at 8:26 AM, Luke-OH said:

Players can change their profile, without a doubt. For every Zobrist though, there are plenty of Hechavarrias (and worse).

That's why I said there was a lot of variance to the offensive profile.

Wasn’t a shot at you at all Luke.  I was basically just making the same point you made in reply.  Especially with a guy out of Cuba who hasn’t necessarily had the opportunity to work with the types of guys advancing hitters and pitchers in America, it’s hard to base things on time in Cuban League.  I hope our new management team is capable of doing proper projections. 

On 1/24/2019 at 10:26 AM, Luke-OH said:

Players can change their profile, without a doubt. For every Zobrist though, there are plenty of Hechavarrias (and worse).

That's why I said there was a lot of variance to the offensive profile.

$4MM of bonus and 3 years of league minimum for Adeiny Hechavarria isn't the worst thing in the world TBH (I know you suggested worst case scenario could be worse).  I just want to underscore how much potential value is available via these int'l signings.

Archived