Brian Roberts

weams

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, foxfield said:

While it is certainly true that concussions are viewed much differently than say 25 years ago, hitting yourself in the head hard enough to concuss yourself and impact two seasons is without question a legitimate beef, whether it was freak or not.  At a minimum it was every bit as poor a choice as PED.  And it was a choice he made.  We can each have different opinions as to how to judge them, but every player has not bashed their skull with a bat intentionally.  And very few to my memory have wrecked multiple years because of it.

We agree on the Yankee thing, but as an add on, I can see why anyone might add that to the list.

He lied about the PED use after being outed. I'd rather he have come clean. I'd have forgiven. 

15 hours ago, foxfield said:

While it is certainly true that concussions are viewed much differently than say 25 years ago, hitting yourself in the head hard enough to concuss yourself and impact two seasons is without question a legitimate beef, whether it was freak or not.  At a minimum it was every bit as poor a choice as PED.  And it was a choice he made.  We can each have different opinions as to how to judge them, but every player has not bashed their skull with a bat intentionally.  And very few to my memory have wrecked multiple years because of it.

We agree on the Yankee thing, but as an add on, I can see why anyone might add that to the list.

I'm assuming he was susceptible to the concussions due to previous ones. I think they are cumulative.

3 minutes ago, 24fps said:

"Every boy dreams of one day wearing pinstripes".  Completely unnecessary comment from - up to that point - Orioles lifer Brian Roberts.

That was a really bad look after all the years that the Orioles had carried and paid him. 

14 minutes ago, weams said:

That was a really bad look after all the years that the Orioles had carried and paid him. 

From Ed Encina's column at the time:

In his first public interview since signing with the division-rival New York Yankees, former Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts had stinging words for Orioles fans.

In a phone interview with the YES Network on Tuesday night, Roberts said that the Yankees “didn’t need a whole lot of sales pitch” in order to draw him to New York and added that, “as a kid, I think so many of us dream of putting that [Yankees] uniform on at some point.”

Not what you necessarily expect to hear from a player who spent his entire career in an Orioles uniform before leaving town for pinstripes.

Not a good look at all.

30 minutes ago, 24fps said:

From Ed Encina's column at the time:

Not a good look at all.

Omg you AND Mr. Upvote Sad Fan weams over here need to Get. Over. It. You are *adults*. Mad about *a baseball player liking what he does for a living*. It's GROSS. It's PATHETIC. You act as if being excited about joining the Yankees is tantamount to uttering a racial slur. "Not a good look"? Are you for real? 

It's baseball!

Roberts is right! Most people aren't from Maryland and don't have an inferiority complex with New York City. They mostly think it's just a pretty cool place with a good baseball team of players they liked growing up and playing little league! 

Orioles fans are so weird sometimes. It's embarrassing. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Omg you AND Mr. Upvote Sad Fan weams over here need to Get. Over. It. You are *adults*. Mad about *a baseball player liking what he does for a living*. It's GROSS. It's PATHETIC. You act as if being excited about joining the Yankees is tantamount to uttering a racial slur. "Not a good look"? Are you for real? 

It's baseball!

Roberts is right! Most people aren't from Maryland and don't have an inferiority complex with New York City. They mostly think it's just a pretty cool place with a good baseball team of players they liked growing up and playing little league! 

Orioles fans are so weird sometimes. It's embarrassing. 

Caffeine is not your friend.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Exactly. 

Fan vitriol over this incident is absurd. Read an article about what the guy had to go through for the next couple years, have it happen again, and do it all over again. 

I know Tony has hinted at some dugout stuff and doesn't like the guy. He also has never elaborated on that over the years, so I can't relate to that experience. I know he did steroids. I know he "chose not to retire" (an absolutely absurd thing to expect from any player, much less feel ENTITLED to as a fan - gross - especially when we know every single team in baseball can afford Manny Machado, and his salary, in hindsight, was a drop in the bucket). No, he wasn't a clubhouse leader. But in my book he's a pretty good guy. I loved watching him on the field - no one messed with a pitcher's head like he did on the basepaths. I like his color commentary and hope he does more.

He's probably a complicated guy, like a lot of players, but he was a good Dark Ages Oriole (and Oriole Hall of Famer, thank you), he's been good to fans as far as I can tell, and he 100% does not deserve the disgusting fan-slop thrown his way the last 10 years. Get over it already. 

I like Manny,

1 minute ago, interloper said:

/shrug 

I stand by what I said. If Roberts talking about the NYY (can we stop with the MFY also, jesus) gets your jimmies rustled, then you need to reevaluate some things in your adult life. 

If you were to start a band, I’d recommend one of the following:

A) Where are the pesos.

B) Interlopers Infinite Irony.

Incidentally, I must admit, your commitment to your OH handle is remarkable.

Archived