Who is filling out the lineup?

wildcard

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you think  who fills out the lineup changes when the O's are ready to win?

Why do you think Hyde would not fill out the lineup? There's no reason to think otherwise. Elias will have input on the 25-man to be sure, but day-to-day there's no reason to think Hyde won't set the lineup, which won't change that much day-to-day in a meaningful way anyway. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, interloper said:

Why do you think Hyde would not fill out the lineup? There's no reason to think otherwise. Elias will have input on the 25-man to be sure, but day-to-day there's no reason to think Hyde won't set the lineup, which won't change that much day-to-day in a meaningful way anyway. 

The lineup could change quite a bit day to day.  There could be platoons at 1B, CF, 3B.  Maybe even catcher.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think its a interesting question because for 64 years the manager has decided who will be in the O's lineup.   Will that change?

I think that the Orioles are moving to an organizational approach where everyone is on the same page and the more important aspect of the manager’s job will be communicating the information he receives from the front office to the players and communicating his observations to the front office so they can use those observations together with the data. This approach, while different than under Showalter, is more in line with modern MLB organizations. So if the question is who makes out the lineup, the answer is Hyde with input from the front office and based upon his observations, but in my opinion the answer is that it doesn’t matter who sets the lineup because the Orioles are operating in an organizational framework. 

8 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I think that the Orioles are moving to an organizational approach where everyone is on the same page and the more important aspect of the manager’s job will be communicating the information he receives from the front office to the players and communicating his observations to the front office so they can use those observations together with the data. This approach, while different than under Showalter, is more in line with modern MLB organizations. So if the question is who makes out the lineup, the answer is Hyde with input from the front office and based upon his observations, but in my opinion the answer is that it doesn’t matter who sets the lineup because the Orioles are operating in an organizational framework. 

I don't have time to post what I want to now but...

The O's had a organizational framework when Earl was managing.   Dalton, Cashen or Peters as GM acquired that players and Earl played them.

This feels more like Elias drives everything including a the lineup.  Sig and Hyde made give input but Elias makes the decisions.  Just an observation. Not a criticism.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

This feels more like Elias drives everything including a the lineup.  Sig and Hyde made give input but Elias makes the decisions.  Just an observation. Not a criticism.

I think you're grasping at something that ultimately doesn't really matter.

I don't see why Hyde wouldn't be the guy to fill out a lineup card but I'd also bet that Elias has some input, too.  Either way, as long as the two of them or one of them is putting forward the best lineup that they can, that's what matters most.

I think it’s going to be great having all this data and Bri g a more modern ball club and upto date and eventually ahead of the curve. However I really hope Hyde as a good feel for the game you know a really good Gut. That’s something imo Buck severely lacked.

28 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I believe the FO will provide Hyde with input along with all the data, information etc.  so that he can make an educated decision based off that information while he fills out the lineup card.

Of course.  I would expect daily data dumps several hours before game time with up to date statistical info but Hyde makes the call.  The interesting question to me is what statistical model will Sig come up with to organize the virtually limitless amount of data.  Theoretically what data is presented would have a great deal of influence on Hyde's decisions without the FO having to order him to do this or that.

6 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Of course.  I would expect daily data dumps several hours before game time with up to date statistical info but Hyde makes the call.  The interesting question to me is what statistical model will Sig come up with to organize the virtually limitless amount of data.  Theoretically what data is presented would have a great deal of influence on Hyde's decisions without the FO having to order him to do this or that.

Something tells tells me that those  questions along with many others that fans are asking are all going to go answered. Based off what I’ve seen so far I truely believe this new FO is going to keep everything close to the vest.

Archived