Power Alley on SiriusXM today

forphase1

Sorry if already posted, but Jim Duquette this morning on Power Alley had an interesting conversation about the Orioles and international market.  According to him when signing players for less that $25k they could sign them without approval from ownership.  But once it hit $25k, ownership had to approve and that approval was extremely difficult to get.  He joked about the number of players they signed for $24,999.99 because once it hit that next dollar it probably wasn't going to be approved.  I know Duquette gets a bad rep on this board, somewhat deserved in my opinion, but in many ways I think he was working with one, and sometimes both, hand tied behind his back.  He also said we weren't as high on the Mesa brothers, and that's why we didn't really get in that pursuit even though we had the funds to do so.  Was mainly talking about this Cuban guy and they both seem to think the Orioles will be in on him and probably sign him.  Interesting discussion I thought. 

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

Sorry if already posted, but Jim Duquette this morning on Power Alley had an interesting conversation about the Orioles and international market.  According to him when signing players for less that $25k they could sign them without approval from ownership.  But once it hit $25k, ownership had to approve and that approval was extremely difficult to get.  He joked about the number of players they signed for $24,999.99 because once it hit that next dollar it probably wasn't going to be approved.  I know Duquette gets a bad rep on this board, somewhat deserved in my opinion, but in many ways I think he was working with one, and sometimes both, hand tied behind his back.  He also said we weren't as high on the Mesa brothers, and that's why we didn't really get in that pursuit even though we had the funds to do so.  Was mainly talking about this Cuban guy and they both seem to think the Orioles will be in on him and probably sign him.  Interesting discussion I thought. 

If we weren't as high on the Mesa brothers then why the hell did we waste half of our trade chips acquiring international money? :confused:

46 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If we weren't as high on the Mesa brothers then why the hell did we waste half of our trade chips acquiring international money? :confused:

I don't really think Gausman was used to get international money, that was straight up a salary dump.

The Braves are restricted from signing any international players, so the international money was likely a throw in since it was useless to them anyway.

Archived