Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I always imagined interviews in the Warehouse went something like Sylvia Plath's experience

First, are you our sort of a person?
Do you wear
A glass eye, false teeth or a crutch,
A brace or a hook,
Rubber breasts or a rubber crotch,

Stitches to show something's missing? No, no? Then
How can we give you a thing?
Stop crying.
Open your hand.
Empty? Empty. Here is a hand

Wasn't the Sylvia Plath Experience an all girl post punk band out of Dayton?

Reading between the lines, Buck saying they've tried everything already. I think its about to be the bench for Davis. How long Davis takes or accepts that, who knows. But I think we're about to find out. 

Like I posted in the other thread, I'm wondering if continuing to play Davis is an attempt to embarass him into some type of buyout.   The only thing the Orioles potentially have to offer to Davis, is time (i.e. not having to at least report to the clubhouse for the next 4 years), sparing him the embarassment of continuing to be publically humiliated,  and possibly moving up the deferred payments.  So if Davis were to accept a new contract for say,  3 years/$60m or something in that ballpark, after which the Orioles would release him and then he could do whatever he wanted.  It could be spun as an advantage to Davis in that the payments got moved up and he no longer had to do anything for the money. 

2 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Like I posted in the other thread, I'm wondering if continuing to play Davis is an attempt to embarass him into some type of buyout.   The only thing the Orioles potentially have to offer to Davis, is time (i.e. not having to at least report to the clubhouse for the next 4 years), sparing him the embarassment of continuing to be publically humiliated,  and possibly moving up the deferred payments.  So if Davis were to accept a new contract for say,  3 years/$60m or something in that ballpark, after which the Orioles would release him and then he could do whatever he wanted.  It could be spun as an advantage to Davis in that the payments got moved up and he no longer had to do anything for the money. 

I don't think Davis is going to be willing to surrender enough of his future earnings to satisfy ownership.

And I don't blame him, it's his money.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Davis is going to be willing to surrender enough of his future earnings to satisfy ownership.

And I don't blame him, it's his money.

You're probably right, but I think there is a slim chance something like this happens.  Plenty of people have stopped working for big paydays if when they have enough money in the bank .   Davis also has young children so that might factor in.   I think the main factor would be, does Davis think he can still play at a major league level.   Of course even if he was leaning towards that and the Orioles offered it there is going to alot pressure from his agent and the union not to accept any buyout. I'm not sure its ever happened in the MLB, at least not for big money like this, so it would be setting a precedent. 

57 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

You're probably right, but I think there is a slim chance something like this happens.  Plenty of people have stopped working for big paydays if when they have enough money in the bank .   Davis also has young children so that might factor in.   I think the main factor would be, does Davis think he can still play at a major league level.   Of course even if he was leaning towards that and the Orioles offered it there is going to alot pressure from his agent and the union not to accept any buyout. I'm not sure its ever happened in the MLB, at least not for big money like this, so it would be setting a precedent. 

How many professional athletes hire Boras get 7 year contracts and are terrible and then say here I am giving you a refund as I don't deserve the money,. People keep posting this over and over again.  The Orioles can release him if they want but I don't know of players just released in Davis situation either.  Think of him as a rule 5 but the 5 stand for 5 years of being on the bench. 

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

How many professional athletes hire Boras get 7 year contracts and are terrible and then say here I am giving you a refund as I don't deserve the money,. People keep posting this over and over again.  The Orioles can release him if they want but I don't know of players just released in Davis situation either.  Think of him as a rule 5 but the 5 stand for 5 years of being on the bench. 

You're right, but Davis is on a truly historic trajectory this season, and without a MAJOR adjustment that he may not be capable of making, he won't get any better in the next 5 years.

This situation is becoming something no team has EVER had to deal with - the money and years left combined with such low (very negative WAR) production.  Something will have to give, and I no longer know if it will be the Orioles granting a release or a negotiated buyout to save the team money and a roster space, and to save Davis some sense of self-respect.

On 6/6/2018 at 12:56 PM, GuidoSarducci said:

At this point, I'm thinking that the Orioles are trying to somehow embarass Davis into negotiating some type of buyout / retirement.    I think they would keep playing him until either they start being competitive again or Davis is blocking a quality prospect 

He's already indirectly blocking Rickard from being an everyday outfielder, and if DJ Stewart were healthy, he would probably be blocking him from a promotion too.  He's forcing Trey out of position which is the domino the is causing the aforementioned blocking.  Next year he will probably block Mountcastle too.