Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Reading Astroball and how JD Martinez went out on his own and asked a fellow player how he improved his batting and he recomended Craig Wallenbrock.  So JD Martinez contacted Wallenbrock and spent the off-season changing his swing. The swing worked in the minors but big league pitchers adjusted to it and found weaknesses in it.  And he went from a .650 OPS to an OPS Over .900 the next year.

Chris Davis needs to find a new hitting instructor and work with him to re-work his swing and approach.  And he needs to do that now.  I am guessing Chris doesn't do anything.  He will continue to hit .150 and collect his checks and strike out all the time.  

I have absolutely no faith that Chris Davis will seek someone out on his own. It's going to be up to Elias to be the boss here and get his player to buy into some kind of drastic change. It's a tall order that I don't envy. But I also won't blame Elias if it appears that Davis has changed nothing. 

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

The question is, when Elias comes to him and says you have to commit to completely rebuilding your swing based on the following data we see, will he listen and stick with it?

I tend to think, no, no he will not.

He changed his batting stance for all of 2 games last year and Palmer threw him and Coolbaugh under a succession of buses. Coolbaugh then also threw Davis under some more buses. 

The guy is a head case, straight up. I hope he does change things because that's his only option left is a complete and utter teardown of his whack batting mechanics, hopefully helped by Elias. If he listens, great, we can say he tried his best. I currently have no faith that he will listen until proven otherwise. Which I hope to be!

I agree with brother Frobby's #4 take.  

Quite frankly, he's gotten way too much time here, IMO.  They should have figured out a way to get rid of him halfway through last year.  2017 was bad enough, 2018 was the worst ever.  

And the only reason I'm even remotely thinking that he should get a chance this year is that hopefully Elias and his crew can dissect some things.  That, and we're saddled with his contract for awhile so we might as well get used to it. ?

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

Chris Davis needs to find a new hitting instructor and work with him to re-work his swing and approach.  And he needs to do that now.  I am guessing Chris doesn't do anything.  He will continue to hit .150 and collect his checks and strike out all the time.  

I am pretty sure I read an end-of-season interview with Davis saying he was planning to do what you are suggesting.    I do believe that he doesn’t want to embarrass himself at the plate.    Whether anything he tries will work is another story.    

I remain confused about how much or how little he worked with Scott Coolbaugh last winter.  My conclusion was not much and that has soured me on Chris Davis quite a bit.  Now it's December and no word about this offseason's effort to fix what's clearly a large problem.  The Joe Trezza column provides no insight.  

You know Chris, you'd get a lot more moral support if you showed people you're really serious about improving.  I bet there are at least a couple of Orioles beat writers who would love to help you get that message out.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am pretty sure I read an end-of-season interview with Davis saying he was planning to do what you are suggesting.    I do believe that he doesn’t want to embarrass himself at the plate.    Whether anything he tries will work is another story.    

I'll believe it when I see it. If he didn't care enough to do it last off season I don't know why this off season would be any different. Eating that contract is going to feel like swallowing a 100 lbs of crow, but it needs to be done. 

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I remain confused about how much or how little he worked with Scott Coolbaugh last winter.  My conclusion was not much and that has soured me on Chris Davis quite a bit.  Now it's December and no word about this offseason's effort to fix what's clearly a large problem.  The Joe Trezza column provides no insight.  

You know Chris, you'd get a lot more moral support if you showed people you're really serious about improving.  I bet there are at least a couple of Orioles beat writers who would love to help you get that message out.

I'm picturing the training montage video from Rocky IV, but with Chris Davis and Brady Anderson. 

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm picturing the training montage video from Rocky IV, but with Chris Davis and Brady Anderson. 

If Davis eats a bunch of raw eggs every morning and runs up and down the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum with Brady every day I won't get on him if he hits .140 next season.  I didn't see Rockey IV so going off the first one. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

If Davis eats a bunch of raw eggs every morning and runs up and down the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum with Brady every day I won't get on him if he hits .140 next season.  I didn't see Rockey IV so going off the first one. 

Rocky IV was much cheesier. He was training in the dead of winter in Russia. 

15 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Rocky IV was much cheesier. He was training in the dead of winter in Russia. 

So I watched the training scenes from Rocky IV now and I am all for Chris Davis pulling Sleds and climbing mountains in Winter but I didn't really care for the music.  So I would prefer Chris and Brady use the music from orginal Rocky for the video montage they present at Fanfest. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

So I watched the training scenes from Rocky IV now and I am all for Chris Davis pulling Sleds and climbing mountains in Winter but I didn't really care for the music.  So I would prefer Chris and Brady use the music from orginal Rocky for the video montage they present at Fanfest. 

Might as well pull a sled. Hitting a baseball seems out of the question.

Davis is not going to have the choice to do nothing, change nothing this off season.  Elias has made it clear he will be talking to Davis about how to improve.   What that will leads to I don't know.  Davis said in a recent interview that he has not talked to Elias yet.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Davis is not going to have the choice to do nothing, change nothing this off season.  Elias has made it clear he will be talking to Davis about how to improve.   What that will leads to I don't know.  Davis said in a recent interview that he has not talked to Elias yet.

This is about the halfway point for teams that didn't go to the post season.  Perhaps an earlier start might not be too much to ask?

5 hours ago, atomic said:

Actually putting in work is the key.  Davis talked a good game about his off season workout schedule last year and that turned out to be a lie.

Davis can hit .150 again for all I care, I just want evidence he worked on his swing for real this year.  

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Actually putting in work is the key.  Davis talked a good game about his off season workout schedule last year and that turned out to be a lie.

Davis can hit .150 again for all I care, I just want evidence he worked on his swing for real this year.  

Yeah I want specifics. Don't care if it works really.