Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Does anyone know if Davis' contract has insurance similar to Albert Belle, such that the balance would be paid if he is deemed physically unable to play? Let's say, hypothetically, this hip thing gets worse...

I'm sure there is some sort of insurance. Let's hope Davis does not have what Belle had. It would be terrible if he had to retire and insurance had to pick up say, 70% of the contract.....just terrible!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

On a somewhat similar note, the NFL is considering banning hard hits.

o

Davis does have the size to be a TE. Except he would probably lead the NFL in drops and whiff on all his blocks.

Or get confused on the play call and just stand around not knowing what to do. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Davis does have the size to be a TE. Except he would probably lead the NFL in drops and whiff on all his blocks.

Or get confused on the play call and just stand around not knowing what to do. 

Davis is too slow to be an offensive lineman in today's game.

It would only be useful if it prevented him from hitting and fielding. In that case, having him toss meatballs in blowouts would be an improvement on him being a blackhole in the lineup. Of course, the best option would be to release him, but that's easier said than done given the contract. 

• Upvote 1

No way that Davis becomes a pitcher. I did read this article and can see two way players becoming more common. The opener and starters going less innings ,a player who can pitch and hit helps the roster. 

But in the meantime, look at what Lorenzen, 27, is about to do for the Reds: On Monday afternoon, in a spring training game against the Cleveland Indians, some 2½ weeks before Opening Day, he is scheduled to pitch the fifth inning (his fifth mound appearance of the spring), then move to center field for a couple of innings and at least one at-bat — the official first step in what the Reds expect to be a season-long, two-way deployment of their unusually talented player.

And the timing, just one season after Ohtani arrived and knocked down the traditional wall between pitchers and hitters — perhaps forever — is hardly coincidental.

All of a sudden, in fact, baseball looks as if it’s about to be overrun with would-be Ohtanis. The Angels themselves are experimenting with two other players as two-way weapons this spring, in minor leaguers Jared Walsh, a 25-year-old left-handed reliever/first baseman, and 18-year-old DH/right-hander William English. The Texas Rangers are experimenting with using corner infielder Matt Davidson as an occasional reliever this spring, and Tampa Bay Rays minor leaguer Brendan McKay, a first baseman/left-handed pitcher who is the second-rated prospect in their farm system, is a full-time, two-way player who could arrive in the majors by 2020.

The logic behind the trend is obvious: with teams shifting more innings and resources toward their bullpens, they are looking for ways to carry extra arms, which, by necessity, means fewer bench players — who, by extension, must be versatile enough in many cases to play different positions. Having one hybrid reliever/position player allows a team to carry an extra arm or an extra bat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/10/next-ohtani-reds-michael-lorenzen-ready-his-two-way-turn/?utm_term=.269bebf1874a

• Upvote 1

I am so utterly sick of this idea and every time it comes up, as a joke or otherwise, it makes my eyes explode.  The fact that almost 7 years later people still bring up that one time where Chris Davis pitched against the Red Sox, the same game where he went what 0-8 with two games worth of strikeouts, and happened to have success against a team that finished in dead last place just that one time and think he could somehow do it now is lazy, asinine, and honestly as close to impossible as you can get.  We're all desperate to get rid of Chris Davis, even people that once liked him, or still like him.  But this has absolutely no chance of ever happening, and people need to stop hanging on to tiny moments that serve nothing than nostalgia pandering.  

• Upvote 3