Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

On 7/2/2018 at 2:57 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks for updating. For someone that is not watching, Does Davis look different at all?

Actually I'm not watching much at all either (living on the West coast makes this hard anyways, even if I had MLB extra innings / mlb.tv), so couldn't tell you

On 7/1/2018 at 5:40 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Does Davis's swing look shorter and quicker?  Maybe I'm just having hallucinations of hope.

He looks like he's swinging with a bit more authority.  When he's made contact, its been hard contact.  Hips seem to be firing more efficiently.  His first homer back from his hiatus, the oppo homer he hit, was very encouraging as it was gap power, and he seemed to resemble the old Davis.  There seems to be no market for 1B anymore, so even if he does start OPS .750+, he won't be traded during the tenure of his contract.  Our best hope is that he returns to respectability and no one pitches to him over the next 3 years as we rebuild, and maybe he can be a contributor in the last year or 2 of his contract.  I hope the O's use this as an opportunity to focus on drafting and developing position players up the middle and bring some athleticism into the system over the next few years since he ain't going anywhere at 1B.  

Upon his return, on June 22 in Atlanta, Davis homered and drove in two runs. Over the past 10 games, he's hitting .158 with two doubles, two homers, nine RBIs and 13 strikeouts.

"His run production is a lot better, his at-bats have been better," manager Buck Showalter insisted. "They may say comparatively speaking, but if Chris continues at this rate, if you put it over 160 games it's pretty good."

Showalter and the organization can only hope for positive, lasting results.

"Chris has been a good friend of mine," the manager said. "He's got a lot of support from the coaches and his teammates."

ESPN

why why why why why..............he now cannot even field a ground ball and two runs score.

also,,,,,tell me why he cannot bunt with the Phillie third baseman playing behind second?...It surely cannot be pride as i would assume he cannot have any left.

8 minutes ago, Horsepower said:

why why why why why..............he now cannot even field a ground ball and two runs score.

also,,,,,tell me why he cannot bunt with the Phillie third baseman playing behind second?...It surely cannot be pride as i would assume he cannot have any left.

All the people ragging on Rasmus.  At least he knew when he couldn't play the game anymore.  Davis still thinks he is in a "slump".  If he was making the ML minimum instead of $23 mill/yr, I wonder if he would just retire.

4 minutes ago, Horsepower said:

Sorry for kinda venting there but he almost makes it unbearable for me to watch the games.  I have so much frustration with him I just need him to go away.

sorry again,,,,,Happy 4th everyone

There are a TON of people I want to go away from this organization. 

Didn't update this while I was out of town...

Chris Davis 1.0 (before his "break")

BA .150 / OB% .227 / Slug% .227 / OPS .454 / struck out 37.1% of plate appearances

Chris Davis 2.0 (after his break)

BA .160 / OB% .218 / Slug% .380 / OPS .598 / struck out 30.9% of plate appearances

So ... average and on-base roughly the same, but he has hit for a bit more power and struck out a bit less since the "break".

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Didn't update this while I was out of town...

Chris Davis 1.0 (before his "break")

BA .150 / OB% .227 / Slug% .227 / OPS .454 / struck out 37.1% of plate appearances

BA .160 / OB% .218 / Slug% .380 / OPS .598 / struck out 30.9% of plate appearances

So ... average and on-base roughly the same, but he has hit for a bit more power and struck out a bit less since the "break".

So 10 more breaks and Davis is fixed?  

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

According to Buck (verbatim) if you put that over 160 games it is pretty good.

I hate this entire franchise.  This is like professional malfeasance at this point, getting your friends stupid deals as you rob the senile owner.  I can't believe Tillman didn't get a two-year contract from these dopes.

I am rooting against Davis.  I like watching him fail. If you were actually rooting for the guy to get a hit it would be very frustrating.  I was aggravated at the beginning of the season when he would never bunt when they gave him half the infield. 

But I missed his pathetic at-bats during the re-boot.  I am glad to see Davis is back in his New York groove.  I am behind Chris 100 percent at getting the worst WAR season ever.  

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am rooting against Davis.  I like watching him fail. If you were actually rooting for the guy to get a hit it would be very frustrating.  I was aggravated at the beginning of the season when he would never bunt when they gave him half the infield. 

But I missed his pathetic at-bats during the re-boot.  I am glad to see Davis is back in his New York groove.  I am behind Chris 100 percent at getting the worst WAR season ever.  

I completely agree.

• Confused 1

It seems as if Davis has been making better contact since being benched. His batting average doesn't reflect it, but sometimes the ball just won't fall in for a hit. His babip is well below league average since being benched, lower than prior to being benched. I wouldn't be surprised if he improved a decent amount in the remaining part of the season. To be fair, the contract is still terrible and he definitely won't be winning any awards. Couldn't find the hard hit percentage-I would assume it is higher-in case anybody knows where to find that...