Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Someone has to have a come to Jesus conversation with Davis and get him to swallow his pride.  Athletes have big egos, but Davis needs an intervention for his own good. 

I doubt Buck would even consider this.   

Davis is an employee. He needs to do what they tell him to do, as long as it doesn't violate the rules of the Player's Union. As I person who gets paid to try and win games, I see Buck as having one option. He tells Davis he's benched for the foreseeable future OR he can work out the kinks in the minors. He's already given him 2+ months (more if you count last season) to try and work things out at the MLB level. I know he has a big contract, but it's mind boggling that a manager would be that patient/stubborn with a player. 

19 minutes ago, vab said:

We know he won't give up the rest of the money but it really would be honorable if he did. Would I do it? No.

It's not Davis' fault the Orioles are a terrible judge of talent. The only thing that's on his head is his apparent stubbornness in terms of trying new approaches. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

All of the money?

I could see giving up some of the money.  All of the money is a ridiculously high bar.  Both parties signed a binding contract.

Not all. A reasonable buyout with a donation to a charity of Chris's choosing.

He's out of the lineup today vs EdRod.

You HAVE to think he'll be out of the lineup tomorrow vs Sale.   No one wants to watch him bat vs Sale.

So IF he doesn't start vs Sale tomorrow, that will be 4 out of 6 games he has been on the bench (3/3 vs lefties, 1/3 vs righties).

We could be seeing the beginning of a transition to part time player here.

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You HAVE to think he'll be out of the lineup tomorrow vs Sale.   No one wants to watch him bat vs Sale.

So IF he doesn't start vs Sale tomorrow, that will be 4 out of 6 games he has been on the bench (3/3 vs lefties, 1/3 vs righties).

Davis ship has Saled?  

39 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He can't break any records if he is a part-time player.  BTW I want to watch him bat against Sale. 

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's your take away?

Someone put a lot of work into that piece of analysis.

I think the author of that analysis did a great job, but is missing the forest for the trees. Perhaps the shift is what is dropping Davis' production into a historically bad range by gobbling up his BABIP, but that's not the cause of his decline. A 1B with a .077 ISO and a 37% K rate is going to be a bad player even with a .400 BABIP.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I think the author of that analysis did a great job, but is missing the forest for the trees. Perhaps the shift is what is dropping Davis' production into a historically bad range by gobbling up his BABIP, but that's not the cause of his decline. A 1B with a .077 ISO and a 37% K rate is going to be a bad player even with a .400 BABIP.

I agree and that is part of the reason the bunt solution won't work.