Manny signs with Padres

weams

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

As "manny" have said, he lives in Miami.  He plays 80 or so games at home and then retreats to his home turf.  Only a bit of cold weather in the spring and fall potentially.  If it's just a monetary concern, he can tough it out.  But SD is a prime place to cavort.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, bobmc said:

As "manny" have said, he lives in Miami.  He plays 80 or so games at home and then retreats to his home turf.  Only a bit of cold weather in the spring and fall potentially.  If it's just a monetary concern, he can tough it out.  But SD is a prime place to cavort.

Some think SD is a prime retirement land with their almost perfect yearly weather.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think the opt out is a lot of nothing.  With GMs finally awakening to the idea that players decline when they get old it's unlikely he's going to do better at 31 than he did at 26.  I think we've seen the end of 10-year deals lasting into a player's 40s.  

Yeah odds are if he signed with the White Sox they wouldn't let him bat more than 549 times in his 8th year.  But if somehow Manny has 10 WAR per year for the next 5 seasons someone would pay him. 

11 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Hijack Alert:

Unless you pick a "bubble community" with golf cart access, autonomous vehicles, 750 miles of roads with everything close (like I happen to have in The Villages).  

https://voyage.auto/community/the-villages-florida/

Thats cool but the video on their home page needs work. All it shows is parking lots and a car driving around. 

25 minutes ago, atomic said:

Thats cool but the video on their home page needs work. All it shows is parking lots and a car driving around. 

It's all test mode at the moment and hype for that aspect of the community.  All of the details on numbers of residents, miles, etc. are accurate, however.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Yeah odds are if he signed with the White Sox they wouldn't let him bat more than 549 times in his 8th year.  But if somehow Manny has 10 WAR per year for the next 5 seasons someone would pay him. 

My guess is that Manny’s at bats in his age 33 season would be entirely predicated on how well he was playing and whether he was healthy.    I seriously doubt the White Sox would be manipulating his at bat totals if he was producing.   However, no point in speculating — Manny took the $300 mm guarantee, and I guess we’ll see in 2026 whether he might have done better by choosing the White Sox deal.    I doubt he’s going to lose any sleep over it.   

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Depends on what the market is five years from now.    Let’s say it’s gone up to $10 mm per WAR and Manny is coming off a banner season.    Or, let’s say the Marlins are a playoff caliber team with a low payroll.    Or, the Yankees have an urgent need at 3B.   It’s anyone’s guess whether circumstances would lead Manny to want to opt out five years from now.   

And of course that will be under a new collective bargaining agreement.   We have no idea what the free agent market landscape will even look like then.

On 2/19/2019 at 3:37 PM, atomic said:

It would be funny if Harper did end up with the Padres though and signed a 10 year contract.  And if the Padres were terrible no one would ever hear from them again.   

It looks like we only play 2 games against the Padres this year and both are in San Diego.  One is at 10:10 PM and the other is a Tuesday day game. Most of us will probably miss those games. 

The Padres visit Baltimore on June 26 and 27.

Archived