Austin Hays

LAOSfan

I apologize if this has recently been discussed (I didn't say any topics on the board's first few pages), but what can we expect from Austin Hays this year?  Is he being given a shot to win a job in spring training?

I'm hoping last year was a fluke and completely related to his injury. And, based on where we are as an organization, I wouldn't mind seeing him being given every chance to win the RF job this spring.  Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'd rather see him and Stewart getting most of the time in RF and LF over Rickard (or even Mancini).

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not think Hays has any chance to make the team out of spring training, but I could envision a midseason promotion if he performs like close to the 2017 version this year.  It will be interesting to see if he begins the year at Bowie, or Norfolk.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do not think Hays has any chance to make the team out of spring training, but I could envision a midseason promotion if he performs like close to the 2017 version this year.  It will be interesting to see if he begins the year at Bowie, or Norfolk.   

Mostly agree.  I don't know what Elias will do.  There is a slight chance he would begin the season in the majors with an outstanding spring.   However I would prefer to see Hays begin at AA and play most of the season at AAA.   Save his serve time until 2020.

9 minutes ago, oriole said:

If he is the best RF in spring by far then sure, he’ll start. Someone has to.

Hays could be the best O's RF in ST and still be sent down.  Rickard and Yaz have the arm be play RF.  Elias could put Stewart there though I don't think he is fit for RF.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Hay could be the best O's RF in ST and still be sent down.  Rickard and Yaz have the arm be play RF.  Elias could put Stewart there though I don't think he is fit for RF.

Or he could make the team.  Maybe Diaz makes the team out of camp.

I'd rather have Stewart in right than Mancini.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or he could make the team.  Maybe Diaz makes the team out of camp.

I'd rather have Stewart in right than Mancini.

If Trumbo is healthy and Davis shows anything this spring, Mancini ends up in left.  Mullins in center.  Rickard, Yaz or Stewart in right.  I would not be surprised for Elias to add a RFer from the waiver wire  or in a small trade the spring

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hays could be the best O's RF in ST and still be sent down.  Rickard and Yaz have the arm be play RF.  Elias could put Stewart there though I don't think he is fit for RF.

Or Young or Stewart or Drew Jackson or Steve Wilkerson or someone grabbed at the final cutdown. No reason to believe that Carl's grandson or Joe have a leg up. 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Trumbo is healthy and Davis shows anything this spring, Mancini ends up in left.  Mullins in center.  Rickard, Yaz or Stewart in right.  I would not be surprised for Elias to add a RFer from the waiver wire  or in a small trade the spring

Stewart supposedly can even play center. I agree with the waiver call you made. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

Or Young or Stewart or Drew Jackson or Steve Wilkerson or someone grabbed at the final cutdown. No reason to believe that Carl's grandson or Joe have a leg up. 

Young and Stewart don't have the arm for RF.  Could Hyde put them there?  Sure but that is a mismatch IMO. In 4 years in the minors Jackson has played 8 games in the OF.   He might sub out their but he does not look like a candidate for an everyday role in the OF. Wilkerson has played in 15 games is the OF in 5 seasons.   Again, maybe a sub in the outfield but not a everyday player out in the outfield.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Young and Stewart don't have the arm for RF.  Could Hyde put them there?  Sure but that is a mismatch IMO. In 4 years in the minors Jackson has played 8 games in the OF.   He might sub out their but he does not look like a candidate for an everyday role in the OF. Wilkerson has played in 15 games is the OF in 5 seasons.   Again, maybe a sub in the outfield but not a everyday player out in the outfield.

Young and Stewart both have the arm to play right field for the Orioles this season. And Joey has disappointed me more than once with noodle throws. 

Archived