Austin Hays

LAOSfan

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, Hays has been beastly this spring. He looks like the best player on the team, let alone the best player in the OF. So, it's hard to imagine him starting in the minors. Elias has a difficult decision.

My personal opinion is that I think what is best for the organization is to put Hays in the minors to keep his arbitration clock from running. But, we'll see. 

7 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

I mean, Hays has been beastly this spring. He looks like the best player on the team, let alone the best player in the OF. So, it's hard to imagine him starting in the minors. Elias has a difficult decision.

My personal opinion is that I think what is best for the organization is to put Hays in the minors to keep his arbitration clock from running. But, we'll see. 

I can see the service time argument from both sides. But at some point you have to figure out what you have and the only way to do that is ML playing time. Hays was close to being MiL Player of the year not long ago. I'd take him north and see what we have.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hays is starting in CF today even though Mullins also is in the lineup.   They have Mullins in LF.   Pretty clear that the O’s are taking a long look at the possibility that Hays could start in CF.    

Yes. also this lineup looks like it could be pretty close to the  Opening Day lineup.. If you add in Villar and Mancini.  

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hays is starting in CF today even though Mullins also is in the lineup.   They have Mullins in LF.   Pretty clear that the O’s are taking a long look at the possibility that Hays could start in CF.    

We need hitters in the lineup. Hays is hitting. We will need to score runs to offset our horrendous pitching. 

17 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I have only seen Hays in four games and can tell you he has an extra gear for when he needs it.  It will surprise you because you didn't know it is there, but then catch yourself thinking, "that guy is really booking."

Sounds like Nolan Reimold. You wouldn't think it but the guy really had blazing speed. I first noticed it while actually at a game at OPACY. He hit a hard grounder to SS and very nearly beat it out. At the time I thought exactly what you said, "that guy is really booking."

39 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Yes. also this lineup looks like it could be pretty close to the  Opening Day lineup.. If you add in Villar and Mancini.  

Except for the order... don't want Trumbo #2. And Hyde might be forced to hit CD up in the lineup but he really ought to be 6th or 7th at best.

I am on the fence with his service time, but I say send him north to open up the season with the big club.  If he keeps earning playing time then let him stay up but if he gets in a prolonged slump or the long season takes a toll on him (he didn't really play much last year) then option him at that point if we can save a year of service.

58 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am on the fence with his service time, but I say send him north to open up the season with the big club.  If he keeps earning playing time then let him stay up but if he gets in a prolonged slump or the long season takes a toll on him (he didn't really play much last year) then option him at that point if we can save a year of service.

The problem with Hays is those pesky 34 days of service from 2017.     He’d need to stay in the minors for about 7 weeks to save a full year of service.    

My brain says send him down.    Every part of my heart says we need something to be excited about and that he’s earned a spot on this roster.    So, I’m torn.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The problem with Hays is those pesky 34 days of service from 2017.     He’d need to stay in the minors for about 7 weeks to save a full year of service.    

My brain says send him down.    Every part of my heart says we need something to be excited about and that he’s earned a spot on this roster.    So, I’m torn.   

Just lie to your brain and tell it the O's will sign him to a long term deal.

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mullins is working on that.

You seem to be really down on Mullins. 

This guy has been an overachiever to get this far. He has some tools to work with. Certainly possible he doesn’t pan out but also possible he can be a strong side platoon CF.  That has value. 

Archived