Austin Hays

LAOSfan

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

So how about that Austin Hays fellow?

1.329 OPS through 5 games?

I'm good with that so far.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a problem with too many outfielders to play?

Also Santander, Diaz , and Young. We have some outfielders that are hitting right now. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Also DJ Stewart I guess.

True. Him and Rickard are both hitting .333.  The other guys mentioned are hitting better than that. We are stacked with good hitting outfielders now. 

7 minutes ago, Natty said:

True. Him and Rickard are both hitting .333.  The other guys mentioned are hitting better than that. We are stacked with outfielders who have hit well in a handful of spring at bats now.

Fixed that for you.    No way I’m calling guys “good hitting outfielders” at this stage of the game.    

8 minutes ago, Natty said:

True. Him and Rickard are both hitting .333.  The other guys mentioned are hitting better than that. We are stacked with good hitting outfielders now. 

I think I'd phrase that a little differently.  The Orioles have a number of outfielders who, despite modest resumes, are hitting well in the first week of spring training.

The one thing I like about spring is that it's the young players that are performing best.  Hays, Diaz, Stewart, Santander, Martin, Jackson, and Sisco are all hitting well.  Only Mullins is not hitting early. 

It's only spring training.  It's only a week.  But hitting good is always better (or at least more fun) than hitting bad.

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The one thing I like about spring is that it's the young players that are performing best.  Hays, Diaz, Stewart, Santander, Martin, Jackson, and Sisco are all hitting well.  Only Mullins is not hitting early. 

It's only spring training.  It's only a week.  But hitting good is always better (or at least more fun) than hitting bad.

Still it's better to look good than to hit good

Image result for better to look good than to feel good

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I agree totally. Spring training stats, overall, mean very little and the early results mean even less. But it's fun to see the young players do well and disconcerting to see Davis and others struggle. But overall spring training stats are pretty meaningless (this study claims that the peripheral stats might have some meaning, but this guy is looking at tiny changes in correlation coefficients to make that claim: https://www.economist.com/game-theory/2015/03/04/spring-forward).

Just read this article on Hays, not sure if it's been posted anywhere else:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-austin-hays-running-20190305-story.html

It talks about how he had gained about 15 lbs last winter and came into ST heavier than he'd ever been and that, combined with a bio-mechanically inefficient gait (heel striking when running,) contributed to his ankle injury.

Does anyone know what the exact injury was?  It isn't mentioned in the article...

Hays explains:

“It was just kind of a gradual thing that all came about through some cartilage damage that I’ve had in my ankle,” he said. “The cartilage started causing some bone bruising. In my ankle joint, two bones were hitting that cartilage that shouldn’t be hitting anything. That caused some fluid and some swelling, and that caused the cyst that I’ve had. And the cyst caused the bone bruise and the bone bruise made my ankle soften, and where it softened was eventually where it fractured. So it was just a gradual thing that happened over time the more I played on it. It was really an out-of-the-blue thing that came out of nowhere.”

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hays explains:

“It was just kind of a gradual thing that all came about through some cartilage damage that I’ve had in my ankle,” he said. “The cartilage started causing some bone bruising. In my ankle joint, two bones were hitting that cartilage that shouldn’t be hitting anything. That caused some fluid and some swelling, and that caused the cyst that I’ve had. And the cyst caused the bone bruise and the bone bruise made my ankle soften, and where it softened was eventually where it fractured. So it was just a gradual thing that happened over time the more I played on it. It was really an out-of-the-blue thing that came out of nowhere.”

So a stress injury.  Sounds extremely painful.  Thanks for finding this description!

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bases loaded double and a solo homer for Hays tonight.    He’s making a really strong case for heading north with the big club.    

I love watching him hit homers, but I love watching him hit to the opposite field and run like a cheetah for a triple even more.

Archived