Horrible O's Outfield review on Orioles.com

wildcard

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hyde values speed and defense, he's said, so that's part of it. I don't think Yaz being in camp really deserves a ton of our thought. He's a guy, he's had some good seasons, plays hard, is somewhat speedy and plays good D. 

He's in camp. I dunno. Donny Hart is in camp. Jack Reinheimer is in camp. 

Hart has a lot of reliever that are better than him in camp.  Reinhiemer has several SS that are better that him in camp.  Its not clear that their are better right fielder in camp than Yaz.   Yaz gets to try to prove that.  I truth I bet Elias is looking outside the organization for cheap right fielders.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, atomic said:

If we are non-contending there is no reason not to let Yaz have at least a couple of days in the big leagues.  He has been with this team for a very long time and I am not sure why he wasn't called up last year.  You need to reward your guys who have been plugging away so long. 

Where do you play him right now?  In front of who?  Who goes off the 40 man roster. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Where do you play him right now?  In front of who?  Who goes off the 40 man roster. 

Half of the 40 man roster could be given the ole DFA and no one would care.  For example the 31 year pitcher who can't throw strikes they just claimed.  I am sure there will be a time when they need someone to call  up for a few games due to injury or whatever. I didn't say he had to break camp with the team. I am saying sometime during the season he should be given a chance to play in the bigs. 

36 minutes ago, wildcard said:

All I think Yaz  has earned is a chance to show what he can do.

And outfield of Mancini in left and Stewart in right has very limited range.   I would rather see someone in right that has some range and helps out the pitchers.   For me Stewart belongs in left field after Trumbo is traded and Mancini moves out of left.

What evidence do you have that Stewart's range is limited?

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Half of the 40 man roster could be given the ole DFA and no one would care.  For example the 31 year pitcher who can't throw strikes they just claimed.  I am sure there will be a time when they need someone to call  up for a few games due to injury or whatever. I didn't say he had to break camp with the team. I am saying sometime during the season he should be given a chance to play in the bigs. 

How many OF’s do you want on the 40 man? We have plenty of OF’s. He is 28 years old and is not considered a prospect. How many years did teams skip over him during the Rule 5 draft?

You keep pitchers to protect yourself. You don’t need a million OF’s. 

If he gets a chance that is great, good for him. Not right now. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

How many OF’s do you want on the 40 man? We have plenty of OF’s. He is 28 years old and is not considered a prospect. How many years did teams skip over him during the Rule 5 draft?

You keep pitchers to protect yourself. You don’t need a million OF’s. 

If he gets a chance that is great, good for him. Not right now

Like I said there are 20 guys you could let go.  Steve Wilkerson 27 years old. Weak hitter and terrible fielder and PED suspended in the minors last season.  You are making a bigger deal of this than it is.  The pitcher I  mentioned most likely won't be on the 40 man very long.  Trying to say there is no room on this 40 man roster for anyone is comical. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Like I said there are 20 guys you could let go.  Steve Wilkerson 27 years old. Weak hitter and terrible fielder and PED suspended in the minors last season.  You are making a bigger deal of this than it is.  The pitcher I  mentioned most likely won't be on the 40 man very long.  Trying to say there is no room on this 40 man roster for anyone is comical. 

We’re trying to keep talent in the organization, and they have obviously not formed opinions on many guys at this point and are giving them a chance.

Yaz is getting his chance right now.  He needs to show up and impress and not get lost in the mix with all the flawed players...

4 minutes ago, AceKing said:

We’re trying to keep talent in the organization, and they have obviously not formed opinions on many guys at this point and are giving them a chance.

Yaz is getting his chance right now.  He needs to show up and impress and not get lost in the mix with all the flawed players...

Like I said half the 40 man has no talent.  A lot of the guys are old as well and without talent. All these guys we claim off waivers aren't good players that other teams want. If they did another team could trade for them for a small amount of cash before they got DFAd.  

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

So Yaz is this talented 28 year old that other teams pass on every year? 

What makes him any better than the players who in your eyes aren’t any good? 

Couple thoughts:

1) Britt is a tough act to follow

2) I believe Santander finished very strong in winter ball.  Maybe even tore it up in the postseason down there?  Do we know I'd that slash line for him includes postseason play down there?

Archived