Is Steve Wilkerson the next JD Martinez?

AceKing

6 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I really think Stevie has been the most entertaining Oriole this entire season.

And Santander when the UK Scouts all got a crush on him. Have to give him novelty points, whereas Stevie stole his act from Davis.

• 1 month later...

Since May 28, Wilkerson has appeared in 81 games with a .200/.265/.346 line.

For the season, he has accrued -1 rWAR besting only Chris Davis (-1.2) and Dwight Smith Jr. (-1.1).

I don't think you can be a super utility player and be below average defensively at every position, a below average baserunner, and unplayable against left-handers even if you are league average hitter against right-handers.

So long as he is the third best option at second-base, which he has been the whole season, he isn't really adding any value over a fourth outfielder who can actually play a reasonable centerfield.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

For the season, he has accrued -1 rWAR besting only Chris Davis (-1.2) and Dwight Smith Jr. (-1.1).

I don't think you can be a super utility player and be below average defensively at every position, a below average baserunner, and unplayable against left-handers even if you are league average hitter against right-handers.

So long as he is the third best option at second-base, which he has been the whole season, he isn't really adding any value over a fourth outfielder who can actually play a reasonable centerfield.

I don't know why they insist on using him in the OF when they have legitimate OF options.

If they want him around as a utility IF, why not use him there? 

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

For the Orioles, or in general?

I'd take him at 3rd over Nunez. I'd take him at second over Alberto on a consistent basis. I'd take him in left over Dwight Smith Jr. I'd take him on the mound over...Well, most of the bullpen.

I was factoring in both offense and defense, although I think Alberto may be a better defensive second baseman.

Wilkerson has played fewer than 120 innings at third over the last two seasons between Bowie, Norfolk and Baltimore combined, though he did play there in the AFL last fall. Not sure whether to make anything of that or not.

8 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I don’t think this is fair to Steve. It isn’t his fault he had been playing so much CF. He isn’t a CF and was asked to play there in the majors. 

His overall versatility is his strength. I think he should stay on the team next year. 

Wilkerson has a 794 OPS vs Righties.   He is a platoon Utility player in the infield and outfield.   Probably a better defensive left fielder  than Mountcastle or Stewart will be next season. Good late inning defensive replacement for either of those two.  Good backup at 2B/3B in case of injury.  Especially if Martins is at AAA.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Wilkerson has a 794 OPS vs Righties.   He is a platoon Utility player in the infield and outfield.   Probably a better defensive left fielder  than Mountcastle or Stewart will be next season. Good late inning defensive replacement for either of those two.  Good backup at 2B/3B in case of injury.  Especially if Martins is at AAA.

I don't think he is good enough defensively to be a late inning defensive replacement in the outfield. I am not convinced he is an average corner outfielder. I would prefer that the Orioles carry a second player who is capable of playing an average defensive centerfield who would be a better defensive replacement in the corner outfield and could also contribute as a pinch runner, ie Mason Williams or one of the dozen similar players in the minors.

You could talk me into Wilkerson as part of a second base platoon with Alberto, but I don't think he should get much playing time in the outfield. If he maintains his hitting against right handers, he could be useful there.

If he played a passable shortstop he could be an acceptable utility guy, I just don't think there is a ton of value in utility infielders that can't play short.

I am rooting for him, he definitely plays hard and I appreciate the flexibility, but I just don't see a player that is rosterable on a decent Major League team at this point. Obviously, the Orioles standards at this point are somewhat lower, but at 28 in January it seems unlikely he gets much better and I would rather use his at-bats on someone who could feasibly be rosterable on the next good Orioles team or who is tradeable.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't think he is good enough defensively to be a late inning defensive replacement in the outfield. I am not convinced he is an average corner outfielder. I would prefer that the Orioles carry a second player who is capable of playing an average defensive centerfield who would be a better defensive replacement in the corner outfield and could also contribute as a pinch runner, ie Mason Williams or one of the dozen similar players in the minors.

You could talk me into Wilkerson as part of a second base platoon with Alberto, but I don't think he should get much playing time in the outfield. If he maintains his hitting against right handers, he could be useful there.

If he played a passable shortstop he could be an acceptable utility guy, I just don't think there is a ton of value in utility infielders that can't play short.

I am rooting for him, he definitely plays hard and I appreciate the flexibility, but I just don't see a player that is rosterable on a decent Major League team at this point. Obviously, the Orioles standards at this point are somewhat lower, but at 28 in January it seems unlikely he gets much better and I would rather use his at-bats on someone who could feasibly be rosterable on the next good Orioles team or who is tradeable.

Well, if the O's had a player that was better than Wilkerson who would be part of the next good O's team I would agree with you.   I don't think Mason Williams is that player from what I have seen so far.   Maybe when Diaz, Mullins or McKenna are ready.  Or some off season acquisition like Alberto was this season.

However I would  protect Wilkerson when the Rule 5 roster is set.  If they find someone better after that I could be in favor of a change for a better player.