Is Steve Wilkerson the next JD Martinez?

AceKing

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well, if the O's had a player that was better than Wilkerson who would be part of the next good O's team I would agree with you.   I don't think Mason Williams is that player from what I have seen so far.   Maybe when Diaz, Mullins or McKenna are ready.  Or some off season acquisition like Alberto was this season.

However I would  protect Wilkerson when he Rule 5 roster is set.  If they find someone better after that I could be in favor of a change for a better player.

I don't see anyway that Wilkerson is protected.  If you want him on the team next season I don''t think protecting him is needed.  Just sign him to a minor league contract in the off-season. 

13 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Since May 28, Wilkerson has appeared in 81 games with a .200/.265/.346 line.

For the season, he has accrued -1 rWAR besting only Chris Davis (-1.2) and Dwight Smith Jr. (-1.1).

I don't think you can be a super utility player and be below average defensively at every position, a below average baserunner, and unplayable against left-handers even if you are league average hitter against right-handers.

So long as he is the third best option at second-base, which he has been the whole season, he isn't really adding any value over a fourth outfielder who can actually play a reasonable centerfield.

But he has been better than at least 6 different "major league" pitchers the Orioles have used this season according to FIP. :D

• Upvote 1