Yusniel Diaz is very impressive

wildcard

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Don’t confuse these two issues:

1.    When is a player eligible for free agency?    That requires six full years of service time and can be delayed by a year if the player is held back for about two weeks after the start of the season.    “Super-two” has nothing to do with this.

2.    When is a player eligible for arbitration?    There is a certain percentage of players with 2+ years of experience who become eligible.    To avoid that, the player typically has to be held back until some time in June.    The date is uncertain because it has to do with what percentile the player falls into regarding service time compared to other players with 2+ years of experience.    The ones who qualify for arbitration are called super-twos.    

I’ve always felt that it made some sense to hold back players 2+ weeks to postpone their free agency by a year.    But I’ve never liked the idea of holding them back for 2+ months to avoid Super-Two arbitration eligibility.    Of course, neither is relevant unless the player actually appears to be ready for the majors from a pure baseball standpoint.    I don’t think any of our guys are clearly in that position now.   

Good post, and thanks for the clarification on the process.

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Please, he was doing a fine job until the O's hitting coaches got a hold of him.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I find it hard to believe his K rate went up, his walk rate went down and his HR increased due to an injury.

Diaz' career minor league K:BB ratio is 1.8:1.  At Bowie in 150 PAs it was 1.6:1.  If he hadn't been traded and put up those numbers no one would have noticed.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Roger that, not sure, what site I was looking at, thought it said 8 games.

Still 38 is not a ton of games.

I think at this point, we have to trust in Elias, until he shows us, he doesnt know what he is doing.

He played at AA with the Dodgers in 2017 and 2018 as well as the AFL.

24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Roger that, not sure, what site I was looking at, thought it said 8 games.

Still 38 is not a ton of games.

I think at this point, we have to trust in Elias, until he shows us, he doesnt know what he is doing.

He's played 128 games at AA. That's more than enough, especially for someone you hope is an impact player and especially if you trust his time in Tulsa more than Bowie. The fact that he didn't do much at Bowie does give some pause, O's development problems or not, and I have no problem if the team would like him to go back and show some success there. I'm not qualified to say if he's ready or not, but I don't think it's a no brainer either way, even with a good spring.  

28 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Diaz' career minor league K:BB ratio is 1.8:1.  At Bowie in 150 PAs it was 1.6:1.  If he hadn't been traded and put up those numbers no one would have noticed.

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles didn't do anything with his swing or approach when he came over until the instructional leagues.

I don't care how rational you guys want to be I'm going with the narrative that when Diaz showed up the hitting coach told him walks are for sissies and to hit dongs.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't care how rational you guys want to be I'm going with the narrative that when Diaz showed up the hitting coach told him walks are for sissies and to hit dongs.

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That hitting coach would be correct.  

Every winter the top secret Committee to Change The Rules is one vote short of enacting nine balls for a walk, and super-juicing the ball.  One year they'll both pass and the O's will be the only team ready for it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Let’s see how he performs.   Hays too.    I don’t think it’s clear that they are ready for the majors.   If they prove that they are, we can worry about promotions.   

I see Diaz and Hays as two different situations.  IMO Hays has passed Mullins for the CF job.   There is really no one else competing for the CF job.  That could change  but right now it appears to me that Hays is the OD centerfielder.    

Diaz is not on the 40 man roster. There are other players to full the corners.   Elias seems to want to keep him in the minors.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I see Diaz and Hays as two different situations.  IMO Hays has passed Mullins for the CF job.   There is really no one else competing for the CF job.  That could change  but right now it appears to me that Hays is the OD centerfielder.    

Diaz is not on the 40 man roster. There are other players to full the corners.   Elias seems to want to keep him in the minors.

Spicy take! I like it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not being rational, I'm reporting what was told to me. Feel free to out on your tin foil hat and believe anything you like.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Not saying you're wrong, but I think the roster situation won't be purely merit based early this year. I hope and expect that Stewart and Santander will be given at least some chance, which will slow down the clocks of Hays and Diaz (and to a lesser extent McKenna). OTOH, if they want to send a message, starting the high performers on day one sure would do so.