Yusniel Diaz is very impressive

wildcard

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Forty doubles is a decent amount of power (tied for 17th in MLB last year).

Oh well, then My numbers are a little bit skewed, but my point is that I’m much more interested in him getting on base. If he can hit 170 solid singles I’ll be thrilled, Because he will then immediately steal second and third so it’s functionally a triple

Just now, Philip said:

Oh well, then My numbers are a little bit skewed, but my point is that I’m much more interested in him getting on base. If he can hit 170 solid singles I’ll be thrilled, Because he will then immediately steal second and third so it’s functionally a triple

Gotcha.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yeah, if the dude has good at bats, gets on base at a good clip that's all that matters to me.

“Pretty good,” Hyde said after his eyes widened at the mere mention of Diaz’s name. “He took some really good swings. Even the strikeout, where he laid off a couple of really nasty off-speed pitches underneath, the guy just threw him a great 3-2 changeup. But just to be able to see his presence at the plate and not be jumpy, I was really, really impressed."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/hyde-wraps-up-orioles-7-2-win.html

Diaz is 22 and coming off a 285/392/449 AA season.

Markakis was 22 in the spring of 2006 and coming off a 310/390/504 year that was 75% Frederick and 25% Bowie.  Nick did improve in his AA promotion at the end of 2005.

On merit, it's almost a push but I think this year's context gives Yusniel no shot of doing what Nick did and forcing his way on to the team.

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Diaz is 22 and coming off a 285/392/449 AA season.

Markakis was 22 in the spring of 2006 and coming off a 310/390/504 year that was 75% Frederick and 25% Bowie.  Nick did improve in his AA promotion at the end of 2005.

On merit, it's almost a push but I think this year's context gives Yusniel no shot of doing what Nick did and forcing his way on to the team.

Not sure what you mean.  It is not as if the 2006 Orioles were expected to contend.

I'm not sure what Elias will do if Diaz kills it this spring.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Exactly what came to mind.   His body type suddenly is very similar.   He looked nothing like that last year.   

He reminds me more of Don Baylor,    Vlad was taller and really didn't care about the strike zone.  He could and would hit anything.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure what you mean.  It is not as if the 2006 Orioles were expected to contend.

I'm not sure what Elias will do if Diaz kills it this spring.

I don't think any Orioles team, even in the long stretch of losing years, ever expected not to contend as much as the 2019 Orioles.  2006 was the 3rd year of Tejada's contract - I think there was competitive intent all that time.

Archived