Chance Sisco and The Future

RVAOsFan

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Check out his sprint speed.  Whatever he was in HS he's a catcher now.

Yeah, he’s not Machado or Arrenado. But, at 3B you only need a quick first step. He’d have to learn the angles you play at 3B, bunt plays and such. Maybe worth a shot to look anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Yeah, he’s not Machado or Arrenado. But, at 3B you only need a quick first step. He’d have to learn the angles you play at 3B, bunt plays and such. Maybe worth a shot to look anyway. 

If he doesn't make the team he can work on it at Norfolk.

Of course if he hits like last year it's a moot point.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

I was happy with how he caught. I thought he really improved from spring training to the last game of the year, defensively, and I think there’s still a lot of room to grow defensively. But I know he’s putting it on himself this offseason to go to a facility and work on some swing thoughts that we had, as well as his body and other things.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/12/talking-about-orioles-catchers-and-outfielders.html

“There was a lot of conversations at the end of the year about things he could do this winter to improve and come into spring training. I know Cos (Tim Cossins) is going to go see him and it sounds like he’s doing that.”

“When he got to us he was really swinging the bat well,” said manager Brandon Hyde. “For me, it was more of a confidence issue. I think he got in a little bit of a funk and had a hard time getting out of it. (But) I was happy with how he caught. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

Sisco is still really young, I don't know why anyone would be down on him so far.  Joseph was like 6 years older and had given catching up completely in Bowie before he got the call because MW was hurt.  If Sisco is putting in the work, I see no reason that his defense should hold him back.  It could be a situation where his defense was affecting his offense.  He had a .729 OPS last year.  That's pretty good for a C.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sisco is still really young, I don't know why anyone would be down on him so far.  Joseph was like 6 years older and had given catching up completely in Bowie before he got the call because MW was hurt.  If Sisco is putting in the work, I see no reason that his defense should hold him back.  It could be a situation where his defense was affecting his offense.  He had a .729 OPS last year.  That's pretty good for a C.  

I have low hopes for Sisco. You are right, despite the low BA and high K's, he did show decent power and plus walk rate (and a great knack for the HBP). His BABIP was not terrible, so what he really needs to work on is cutting down on K's and making good contact. I still don't see his offensive improvement as making up for the defense.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, weams said:

Roch is very restricted in what he’s allowed to delve into, and the people he’s interviewing are not going to say anything negative about a player. His interview is just a way to pass the time until February 20. However, I would be interested in exactly what is being addressed and how. It is encouraging to think that the new coaching approach may be able to fix whatever is wrong. If they don’t I wouldn’t expect him to be in the league much longer.

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Roch is very restricted in what he’s allowed to delve into, and the people he’s interviewing are not going to say anything negative about a player. His interview is just a way to pass the time until February 20. However, I would be interested in exactly what is being addressed and how. It is encouraging to think that the new coaching approach may be able to fix whatever is wrong. If they don’t I wouldn’t expect him to be in the league much longer.

My take on the comments is that his fitness was also an issue.

• 5 weeks later...

Sisco profiled here as one of the league's biggest gainers in FB Pull% last year.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/2019-review-fb-pull-surgers/

His track from ~11% to ~22% almost exactly Juan Soto's directionally, except for the, ummm, power thing.  He was a stark opposite field guy previously, so the doubling just gets him to within shouting distance of league average.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Sisco profiled here as one of the league's biggest gainers in FB Pull% last year.

His track from ~11% to ~22% almost exactly Juan Soto's directionally, except for the, ummm, power thing.  He was a stark opposite field guy previously, so the doubling just gets him to within shouting distance of league average.

That would be awesome if he was actually as good as Juan Soto.

48 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. He definitely can really crank a fastball out of the park and make it look good, but his batting average has been awful in the MLs so far. And he'll go loooong spells without homering.

BUT. There's still a good amount to like about a .729 OPS compared to 2018's .557 in a similar amount of ABs.