Chance Sisco and The Future

RVAOsFan

Pick the best player. I am rooting for Sisco. I hope he has a great year and a great career. But...many of us have been tricked into being overly optimistic by a few early spring training homers before. A few springs ago some posters were maxing out the optimism meter over Santander because of a few home runs early in spring training. Again, I really hope Sisco rebounds, but you don't alter your #1 draft pick choice because of Sisco, period, and certainly not because Sisco has a hot spring. 

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

One thing to remember, NEVER GET EXCITED over early spring training results from hitters. If Sisco is hitting a lot of bomb later in spring training and hitting breaking balls I'll start to take notice.

I just liked the swing.    Very pretty.  

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

One thing to remember, NEVER GET EXCITED over early spring training results from hitters. If Sisco is hitting a lot of bomb later in spring training and hitting breaking balls I'll start to take notice.

AND, never get overly negative about a hitter's or pitcher's poor performance either. It has to work both ways, seldom does.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Yea, I think you have to take best player available and if it’s Rutschman then that’s the pick. I just think it would be interesting if that all of sudden catcher becomes a position of strength that we were not expecting. 

Could Sisco potentially move positions?

If Sisco can hit at the major league level absolutely.  Craig Biggio came up as a catcher before switching to 2B.  

Sisco isn't some fat slob like Big Papi who can only DH.  

JMO, it's kind of silly to write Sisco off after 184 plate appearances last year. Yes, they were not pretty in most cases, but still not nearly enough opportunity to write the kid off yet. I don't presume to know what Sisco will ultimately be as a player, but IMO he should be given EVERY opportunity to fail this year.

That said, I don't care what Sisco does this year, if the catcher from Oregon State is the clear cut #1 the Orioles need to draft him.

• Upvote 2

I wonder if Sisco could play 3B. Even if it is only average, it would be better than Núñez. I had some hope for Núñez, but looks like he still has the yips in his throws. 

And, as always, you take the best player available. I am a huge Abrams fan, and I think he will be hard to pass on. But Rutschman is making it look ridiculously easy right now. We’ll see what transpired in the next few months. 

13 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I know a lot of people here have pretty much written off Sisco and his future contributions but it sounds like he looked pretty good behind the plate today and hit a flat out bomb with a couple runners on.  

So my question is, what kind of implications could Sisco’s first couple months have on the future and in particular the number one overall pick? If Chance starts off the season hot could that deter the front office from drafting Adley Rutschman even if he is the best option?

I sure hope not. I hope they draft Rutschman.

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I wonder if Sisco could play 3B. Even if it is only average, it would be better than Núñez. I had some hope for Núñez, but looks like he still has the yips in his throws. 

And, as always, you take the best player available. I am a huge Abrams fan, and I think he will be hard to pass on. But Rutschman is making it look ridiculously easy right now. We’ll see what transpired in the next few months. 

I don't think he can.

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

3B isn't something you just learn on the fly IMO without at least coming up in the minors as an infielder.  Have there been any examples of this?

You see guys learn the OF or 1B on the fly.  Even players who are developed as 3B can have great difficulty with the position.  It's probably the fourth most difficult position on the diamond. 

42 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

3B isn't something you just learn on the fly IMO without at least coming up in the minors as an infielder.  Have there been any examples of this?

You see guys learn the OF or 1B on the fly.  Even players who are developed as 3B can have great difficulty with the position.  It's probably the fourth most difficult position on the diamond. 

BJ Surhoff, kind of.  Came up as a catcher, transitioned to 3B for a few seasons before moving to the OF.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Well, he was an infielder, SS, in high school. Was not a catcher until some his senior year. Jeff Donaldson is a recent example, but there have been many catchers over the years that moved to 3B, if for nothing else, to add some value. Sugar Bear Rayford was one, for instance. 

Maybe it isn’t something he can do, but why not take a look at it? His ceiling of an average, at best, catcher with some offensive capability lends itself to this change if he’s able. He may need a year to change, so be it. It’s not like we don’t have the time.

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Well, he was an infielder, SS, in high school. Was not a catcher until some his senior year. Jeff Donaldson is a recent example, but there have been many catchers over the years that moved to 3B, if for nothing else, to add some value. Sugar Bear Rayford was one, for instance. 

Maybe it isn’t something he can do, but why not take a look at it? His ceiling of an average, at best, catcher with some offensive capability lends itself to this change if he’s able. He may need a year to change, so be it. It’s not like we don’t have the time.

Check out his sprint speed.  Whatever he was in HS he's a catcher now.

• Upvote 1