Elias dropped a hint in interview?

WI O’s Fan

In listening to Elias yesterday, he said something that piqued my interest.  1.  You only find a top end shortstop high in the draft.  Does this mean Witt is the favorite for the #1pick?  2. With today’s trade, can we assume the Cuban shortstop was not that highly rated by the front office?

Off topic a bit, Davis looks in mid season form.   Very disappointing.

1 minute ago, WI O’s Fan said:

In listening to Elias yesterday, he said something that piqued my interest.  1.  You only find a top end shortstop high in the draft.  Does this mean Witt is the favorite for the #1pick?  2. With today’s trade, can we assume the Cuban shortstop was not that highly rated by the front office?

Witt isn't necessarily the top shortstop in his draft class.

38 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

CoC’s answered your first question, so to answer the second question, no it doesn’t mean that. The O’s had 5+ million, Sanchez won’t get near that much even if he waits until July, so unless they traded a huge amount, it won’t affect their ability to sign him.

45 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

He said that in response to Ben McDonald's question about whether having the high draft picks was the key to turning the Astros around.   He said the only way to get a top quality offensive and defensive shortstop (i.e. Correa and Bregman) is with high draft picks or as a premium international signing.

And clearly those two players were in fact keys to turning the Astros around.

I wouldn't read anything into it whatsoever.

I got a good laugh out of McDonald suggesting they pick a lesser guy so they can sign a better guy in the second round. Like we get a chance to get any amateur player we want in the country every other year. I think McDonald was just giving a for instance though and wasn't really insinuating the O's take someone other than who they thought was the best player in the draft.

39 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I got a good laugh out of McDonald suggesting they pick a lesser guy so they can sign a better guy in the second round. Like we get a chance to get any amateur player we want in the country every other year. I think McDonald was just giving a for instance though and wasn't really insinuating the O's take someone other than who they thought was the best player in the draft.

It sounds silly without context, but what if it’s the choice between the #1 player on your board and the 30th player on your board for the second pick.

But the 2nd guy on your board will sign for 1.5M less and let you buy the 15th guy on your board down to your second pick.

It’s not so simple in that plausible scenario.

23 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

It sounds silly without context, but what if it’s the choice between the #1 player on your board and the 30th player on your board for the second pick.

But the 2nd guy on your board will sign for 1.5M less and let you buy the 15th guy on your board down to your second pick.

It’s not so simple in that plausible scenario.

But that's predicated on the unknown variable of the other guy being there when the next turn comes. There are always going to be guys skipped over because of signability issues. But you still run the risk that they aren't the guys you wanted.

13 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

But that's predicated on the unknown variable of the other guy being there when the next turn comes. There are always going to be guys skipped over because of signability issues. But you still run the risk that they aren't the guys you wanted.

A lot more of the signability stuff is worked out pre-draft than we generally hear about. 

Teams actively tell players things like hey, if you get to our second pick we can give you X dollars. They start throwing that number around which can scare off teams.

Astros did something similar in 2015 (although they were in a better bonus position than the O’s are). They picked Bregman and signed him for 1.5ish million underslot. Then the paid 37th overall pick Daz Cameron 4M (6th overall pick slot).

3 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

1.) What does high in the draft mean?  Does Cadyn Grenier count as "high in the draft" or is Elias referring to a top 5 pick, top 10, top 15? 

2.) The Orioles could be offering the most money to Yolmer Sanchez and still not use half of their signing pool right now.  Some teams are out of money completely, and if Sanchez is interested in one of those teams, he can always wait until July 1st when international money resets.  

To be honest, I'm not necessarily a fan of Sanchez because, from the limited information we have about him, it seems that he's another version of Cadyn Grenier.  While Sanchez would have value as a prospect, it would also depend on how the Orioles feel about his offensive projections and spending money for him.  

I also feel a whole lot better about our SS situation after this past season than I did before it, when the cupboard wasn't just bare, but empty.  Martin and/or Jackson will make the major league roster.  Grenier has a MLB-ready glove, but it all depends on how we develop him as a hitter.  Jean Carmona could be developed into something, and Adam Hall has received a lot of love from prospect reporters as a breakout candidate/under the radar prospect.  It's obviously not perfect, but at least there is some good talent in the system at just about every level right now.  So I don't feel the need to drastically overpay Sanchez just to say we did something.  

Archived