Waiver Wire possibilities

Just Regular

As Elias specifically mentioned waiver wire guys this spring, here are some AL names listed with 0 options on Roster Resource who might be upgrades on what we have, and are uncertain to make their teams.

Catcher - Blake Swihart

Swingmen/#5 starter candidates: Wilmer Font, AJ Cole, Alex Meyer

DJ Stewart/Rickard platoon peers: Dalton Pompey, Michael Reed

Useless to us but Twins did sign Cron atop Nelson Cruz: Tyler Austin

National League guys

Catcher - Tom Murphy

Swing/#5 SP: Robert Stephenson/Matt Wisler loser, John Gant, Matt Koch, Yimi Garcia

Middle Infielder after Villar trade: Dilson Herrera

Platoon 3rd OF competition: Rymer Liriano, Roman Quinn/Aaron Altherr loser, Socrates Brito

Not a lot of fruit on that tree.  

I imagine each will be evaluated on a case by.case basis.

it feels like we might have to actually lose some good players to the waiver process, but whatever ME decides...no reason to doubt him yet.

40 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Wasn't Dalton Pompey a highly regarded prospect at one point or am I thinking of someone else? 

Just three years ago, Pompey was getting a lot of hype as a Blue Jay for many years to come. He didn't do all that much with his opportunity in 2016 as a 23 year old. And he has not done much since, partly because of injuries. He posted a .771 OPS at AAA last season over 215 PAs with SB/CS of 11:2. He could be more valuable to the team than Rickard, maybe. It is possible, however, that the injuries have slowed him by just enough that he would be out of position playing centerfield.

14 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Just three years ago, Pompey was getting a lot of hype as a Blue Jay for many years to come. He didn't do all that much with his opportunity in 2016 as a 23 year old. And he has not done much since, partly because of injuries. He posted a .771 OPS at AAA last season over 215 PAs with SB/CS of 11:2. He could be more valuable to the team than Rickard, maybe. It is possible, however, that the injuries have slowed him by just enough that he would be out of position playing centerfield.

He was the guy they wanted for DD

11 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

As Elias specifically mentioned waiver wire guys this spring, here are some AL names listed with 0 options on Roster Resource who might be upgrades on what we have, and are uncertain to make their teams.

Catcher - Blake Swihart

Swingmen/#5 starter candidates: Wilmer Font, AJ Cole, Alex Meyer

DJ Stewart/Rickard platoon peers: Dalton Pompey, Michael Reed

Useless to us but Twins did sign Cron atop Nelson Cruz: Tyler Austin

I have been wondering about this myself. Because we have first crack of anybody in the entire American League, we can probably pick up some reasonably usable guys, although they’re almost certainly going to be out of options. I think other really interesting guys will become available, So I don’t think the 35-40 guys on our roster should unpack their bags.

I think we missed out on a nice little trade opportunity for Zack Granite. To make it worse we traded intl money for the prospect the Twins got back for Granite. With the upcoming roster crunch we could see trades to acquire players that squeezed out with other teams. 

The bottom of the 40 man isn’t as talented as we think. 

Archived