Hanser Alberto gets into the MIF mix today

interloper

And the competition goes on. My current non-scientific ranking of the middle infielders:

1. Richie Martin - So far excelling offensively, defensively, and on the bases. Seems like there's a lot of talent. Obviously no real way to know if the bat will actually end up playing.

2. Jonathan Villar - Just real solid. I like his ABs, speed, and is a fine enough starting 2B who we will most likely flip at some point. 

3. Drew Jackson - Doing a good Flaherty impression by playing all over the damn place. Seems to have calm ABs where he doesn't try to do too much. I like him, at the moment, as the utility guy.

4. Alcides Escobar - A couple missed plays, but he's been ok. Not a complete non-factor at the plate so far in spring. I think he either makes the team as a bench guy/veteran presence or he's ticketed for AAA as an emergency guy. Mostly, IMO, I believe he's in spring camp to be a JJ Hardy-type to all the young infielders. Has a good reputation as a clubhouse guy, a WS ring, and can still play a little despite an obvious dropoff. Also, a decent insurance policy in case either Jackson or Martin were flops and had to be returned. 

5. Stevie Wilkerson - I just don't know about this guy. It's cool that he can play everywhere, but he just doesn't hit. I like Jackson's ABs a little better. He feels like an emergency AAA call-up to me. Not much upside.

??. Hanser Alberto - We shall see! He could climb this list rapidly. Already possesses more upside than Wilkerson, Escobar, and probably Jackson. Not sure how he fits on a speculative 25-man roster, but perhaps a third DFA is the charm to slip him into AAA.

I agree with this. I have doubts about Martin’s bat playing but I have been really unimpressed with Escobar. I thought he was dinged for having decreased range at short but it’s clear to me that his arm is just about shot. I’ve watched one runner beat out a routine GB and one runner come very close to doing so because of bad throws. Let Martin start at SS and Jackson be the utility man with Escobar at AAA where he can be called up in a pinch.

I think some folks have been rolling their eyes at the Hanser claims, but he's maybe the guy with the highest upside out of all of them. He has absolutely murdered AAA pitching, but just hasn't found it yet in the bigs over 182 AB across 3 seasons. 

I like the idea of having Escobar on the team along with Martin. He can be a mentor and steadying force at SS. I wouldn’t sleep on Jackson as just a UTIL guy. I think he’s been a utility guy thus far because he’s really athletic, has a cannon, and came from a loaded Dodgers system. Jackson may end up getting a lot of ABs in the OF this year. 

Archived