Dwight Smith Jr worth a look?

jamalshw

On 3/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think it’s a Dwight Smith vs EY Jr debate. I think it’s a Dwight Smith vs a Pitcher debate. We’re a little thin with position players on the 40 man.  So is Smith more valuable that Osich?  I have Osich behind Bleier, Scott, Fry, Rogers, and Means as far as LH relief options go. 

I’d waive Osich for Smith. Smith could provide a nice bridge(with a prayer of upside) until the young OF are up full time. 

You called this!

On 3/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think it’s a Dwight Smith vs EY Jr debate. I think it’s a Dwight Smith vs a Pitcher debate. We’re a little thin with position players on the 40 man.  So is Smith more valuable that Osich?  I have Osich behind Bleier, Scott, Fry, Rogers, and Means as far as LH relief options go. 

I’d waive Osich for Smith. Smith could provide a nice bridge(with a prayer of upside) until the young OF are up full time. 

Now tell me the Powerball numbers. The jackpot is up to $414M.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Now tell me the Powerball numbers. The jackpot is up to $414M.

Play red 25/3/12/34 in roulette. That’s the best I got. That’s just for the Terps though.

I thought this was a no brainer.  We needed a stop gap OF and had 7 LH relievers on the 40 man.  

Scott is so aggravating; when he’s on, it’s a beautiful sight, but he’s a box of chocolates, and most of them are coconut. And that doesn’t seem to have changed this spring.

i don’t think he’s a DFA candidate but I’d sure like to see what folks would offer for him.

58 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Clearly our GM disagrees with you.

Or he thinks a AAAA extra outfield guy is more valuable than a AAAA LH reliever. Elias has been big on acquiring players he can get off waivers and then pass them through waivers again late in order to keep them in his system. It worked with Reinheimer, but didn't work with Austin Brice or Hanser Alberto, but he ended up getting Alberto back again.

I would not be surprised to see Smith put back on waivers later in spring or close to opening day when it might be easier to get him through waivers and into the Orioles system.

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Or he thinks a AAAA extra outfield guy is more valuable than a AAAA LH reliever. Elias has been big on acquiring players he can get off waivers and then pass them through waivers again late in order to keep them in his system. It worked with Reinheimer, but didn't work with Austin Brice or Hanser Alberto, but he ended up getting Alberto back again.

I would not be surprised to see Smith put back on waivers later in spring or close to opening day when it might be easier to get him through waivers and into the Orioles system.

Also didn’t work for Ryan Meisinger, Breyvic Valera, or Donnie Hart.  We also lost more guys in the rule 5 draft than we received.

The Os are almost hemorrhaging talent while trying to squeeze guys thru waivers, and for some reason, other teams keep claiming our “crappy” guys

15 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Also didn’t work for Ryan Meisinger, Breyvic Valera, or Donnie Hart.  We also lost more guys in the rule 5 draft than we received.

The Os are almost hemorrhaging talent while trying to squeeze guys thru waivers, and for some reason, other teams keep claiming our “crappy” guys

Yikes, I wouldn't say that at all. All of the guys you mentioned are marginal guys. Other teams do the same thing that Elias is doing so sometimes they claim marginal guys to replace their marginal guys. It's all really a big game.

I don't think for a second that Elias is losing this game at all.

10 hours ago, Philip said:

Scott is so aggravating; when he’s on, it’s a beautiful sight, but he’s a box of chocolates, and most of them are coconut. And that doesn’t seem to have changed this spring.

i don’t think he’s a DFA candidate but I’d sure like to see what folks would offer for him.

huh? Scott is in all likelihood the best reliever on the team over the next few years. Let him post a low 2s FIP before trading him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

24 year old Scott is part of the O's future.   Whether he begins the season in the O's pen probably depends on his command and how his competition does.

Isn’t that the problem? When you don’t know whether he’s going to walk 4 in a row or K four in a row it’s hard to put him into high-leverage spots.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

huh? Scott is in all likelihood the best reliever on the team over the next few years. Let him post a low 2s FIP before trading him. 

He may have more talent than anybody, but without consistent control, he’s not going to be dependable.

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

He may have more talent than anybody, but without consistent control, he’s not going to be dependable.

It will be interesting to see how he develops.   A small uptick in control and he could be very, very effective.    But there’s no guarantee he can achieve that.