TT: Opening Day roster starting to take shape, but questions remain

Tony-OH

47 minutes ago, Natty said:

Less than 2 weeks to go and these guys who started last year cant hit now...

Mancini ...133/278/133/411

Villar...160/300/200/500

Mullins...138/265/310/575

Nunez...185/233/407/641

For some reason Mancini has gotten like no AB. Even with the pinky sidelining him for awhile. Like he's not playing again today for some reason. I'm assuming he'll get a bunch of back-to-backs over the final 2 weeks, but I definitely feel like he should be playing a little more by now. 

Mullins has more walks than hits, so that's kind of cool.

Villar is starting to heat up a little.

Nunez feels like a guy that needs steady ABs.

Not really worried about these guys. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Hmmm, this seems really serious.   How many of those 4 would you cut now or demote to the minors?

Mancini - 18 PA so far

Villar - 30 PA

Mullins - 35 PA

Nunez - 30 PA

Núñez goes away. The rest stay either by virtue of potential or past performance. Besides, spring training is different goals for different people. Only Núñez is really auditioning for a spot. Villar doesn’t have to worry about a spot on the team, so he can work on individual problems, which might not transfer to in game success. Will Clark once described a spring training at bat as, “maybe I’ll go up there and only swing at off speed pitches, because I need to practice seeing offspeed pitches.“ And the result would be a strike out or ground out or what have you, But he would benefit from the At Bat.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Switching gears to the outfield....

By all accounts there is room on the team for a 5th outfielder. This assumes a 6-man bullpen, 5-man SP staff (one of which is sorta just a 7th reliever for the first week), and a 5-man bench. 

That bench right now:

Rickard
Backup C
Jackson
One of Nunez/Ruiz
[FINAL GUY]

That final guy is likely, IMO, to be another outfielder not named Mullins, Hays, Rickard, or Mancini.

Options for that guy: Santander, Young Jr, Smith Jr. 

Are you going with one of them? Or are you bringing a 7th infielder with you in Escobar? Or a 7th/8th reliever?

Waiver Claim.

Actually it’s probably too late for a waiver claim to make the opening day roster, but I do think there will be at least a couple of waiver claims that result in turnover on the last two or three spots on the 40-man.

Wynns makes the team, or maybe Sucre, I bet the tiebreaker is which handles the pitching staff better. I don’t like Sisco’s defense, and his offense has been mainly against AA guys, but he’s making the team. If Mancini is Really in LF( Really, Mike? Really?) and we carry another OF, I’d suggest Santander.

5 hours ago, interloper said:

Switching gears to the outfield....

By all accounts there is room on the team for a 5th outfielder. This assumes a 6-man bullpen, 5-man SP staff (one of which is sorta just a 7th reliever for the first week), and a 5-man bench. 

That bench right now:

Rickard
Backup C
Jackson
One of Nunez/Ruiz
[FINAL GUY]

That final guy is likely, IMO, to be another outfielder not named Mullins, Hays, Rickard, or Mancini.

Options for that guy: Santander, Young Jr, Smith Jr. 

Are you going with one of them? Or are you bringing a 7th infielder with you in Escobar? Or a 7th/8th reliever?

I would love Santander but with Trump and Davis, doubt it will be him. My guess is Young Jr. That is who I would go with. We need speed and SB's.

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I would love Santander but with Trump and Davis, doubt it will be him. My guess is Young Jr. That is who I would go with. We need speed and SB's.

I hear Trump has as much trouble as Trumbo when it comes to walls.

(OK, I’ll stop.)

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Waiver Claim.

Actually it’s probably too late for a waiver claim to make the opening day roster, but I do think there will be at least a couple of waiver claims that result in turnover on the last two or three spots on the 40-man.

Wynns makes the team, or maybe Sucre, I bet the tiebreaker is which handles the pitching staff better. I don’t like Sisco’s defense, and his offense has been mainly against AA guys, but he’s making the team. If Mancini is Really in LF( Really, Mike? Really?) and we carry another OF, I’d suggest Santander.

I have a feeling Wynns starts the season on the IL and get some rehab time in the minors. Sucre has been impressive with his defende and arm, throwing behind runners to keep them close and pick them off.

14 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I would love Santander but with Trump and Davis, doubt it will be him. My guess is Young Jr. That is who I would go with. We need speed and SB's.

Trumbo might also start on the IL, even after playing these next few weeks. I do think Santander has played his way on the team.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

(OK, I’ll stop.)

?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

(OK, I’ll stop.)

Man, my hatred just oozes out when I don't intend it to:) Sorry about that. I meant Trumbo of course and very funny! Kudos to you.

After only being given only 1.1 innings of work today it is safe to say that John Means is probably no longer being considered for a rotation spot.  

That leaves Rogers, Wright, Ramirez, and I suppose Ynoa as the remaining candidates.  

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

After only being given only 1.1 innings of work today it is safe to say that John Means is probably no longer being considered for a rotation spot.  

That leaves Rogers, Wright, Ramirez, and I suppose Ynoa as the remaining candidates.  

Innings mean nothing. They might have him throw more in the minor camp like they did with Givens and others.

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Means ERA is half of what Cobb's is. 4.15 to 8.31. 

On 3/12/2019 at 12:18 PM, foxfield said:

I agree with both of you.  I did not however say released.  I said I do not think he will be on the opening roster.  I think CD gets extra time in Fla to work on things and I think he gets every chance to get it together.  But I think that can be done without taking him north after a short sample of poor performance.  Maybe it won't.  Maybe they believe that A) he will be better or B) they can break him.  But if I was trying to find a way to maximize 92M, I think Id give him some personal attention in extended spring training away from pressure, and more importantly, away from 25 guys who are currently more deserving.

There's no such roster move as " leaving the guy in Florida to work on things".   Are you saying he will go on the injured list?   Are you saying he will accept a demotion to the minor leagues?   Or are you saying they will keep him on the 25 man roster and go north with 24 guys so he can stay in Florida and "work on things".

On 3/12/2019 at 2:55 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it will necessarily take Long a long time to tell if a fix is feasible.

And I also think that Davis seems stubborn about making changes and if he refuses to implement what Long asks him to it will become obvious very quickly.

He still appears to be taking an awful lot of good pitches.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I want to see more of Ynoa.

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Innings mean nothing. They might have him throw more in the minor camp like they did with Givens and others.

But if they were considering him for the rotation, I think they would want to see him throw for more than 1.1 innings to live competition less than two weeks from the opener.  Not saying his innings still can't be built up in side sessions.  He will need that even to start in Triple A. 

Archived