The Adam Jones Appreciation Thread

Frobby

I was sitting behind home plate, offset to be looking more or less directly into left field. Jones hits a fly ball. My friend immediately says "too high." It landed about 25 rows deep for a home run. We've never let him live that down. Jones crushed that ball.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

If they ever have a statue in OPACY for an Oriole who is not in Cooperstown, it should be for Adam. He fits right in among Orioles greats. At least retire #10, cause no one else will do it justice.

I think he deserves a statue.

One statue that immediately comes to mind (and it's a bad one) is Frank Howard at Nats Park.  Frank Howard isn't in the Hall of Fame.  But he's still got a statue.  And he played way before a lot of the people who currently attend Nats Park were going to games.

I understand drawing the line at giving a statue to only the Hall of Famers, but I also think it's cool to have them for all time team greats, too.

43 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I was sitting behind home plate, offset to be looking more or less directly into left field. Jones hits a fly ball. My friend immediately says "too high." It landed about 25 rows deep for a home run. We've never let him live that down. Jones crushed that ball.

57 minutes ago, esmd said:

Here's a favorite of mine that from that 9/6/2012 game.  Adam's HR is at 1:46.  We had blown a 6-1 lead, with the Yankees having tied it with a 4 or 5 run top of 8th inning.  Those of us that still had bad memories from 2005 were waiting for the other shoe to drop.  "Here we go again," we thought.  Then Adam Jones came up and said, "Not this time."  Then the Sheriff and Chris Davis followed suit.  What a special night for me for many reasons, especially since I was in attendance that night.  Thanks Adam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BsOOMFeeM

What an amazing game to be at. Lucky you. Feels like yesterday.

I very much regret not making it up to OPACY for a "playoff caliber" game during the 2012-2016 run. Saw a game in early 2012 before the all star break and saw regular season games in 2013 and 2015. 

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

One statue that immediately comes to mind (and it's a bad one) is Frank Howard at Nats Park.  Frank Howard isn't in the Hall of Fame.  But he's still got a statue.  And he played way before a lot of the people who currently attend Nats Park were going to games.

I understand drawing the line at giving a statue to only the Hall of Famers, but I also think it's cool to have them for all time team greats, too.

That's an interesting question, what defines an all-time team-great? Just using WAR, Jones is at 14, behind such non-HOFs as Bobby Grich, Brady, Boog, Paul Blair, and Mark Belanger. Offensive WAR he sits at 10th.

In the more traditional counting stats, he's 9th in games play, 7th in Runs Score, somewhere between 5th and 8th in HRs, TB, 2Bs, & RBIs.

Do those numbers put him in the all-time greats deserving more than a plaque (or whatever they do) for the Orioles HoF? 

2 minutes ago, SurhoffRules said:

That's an interesting question, what defines an all-time team-great? Just using WAR, Jones is at 14, behind such non-HOFs as Bobby Grich, Brady, Boog, Paul Blair, and Mark Belanger. Offensive WAR he sits at 10th.

In the more traditional counting stats, he's 9th in games play, 7th in Runs Score, somewhere between 5th and 8th in HRs, TB, 2Bs, & RBIs.

Do those numbers put him in the all-time greats deserving more than a plaque (or whatever they do) for the Orioles HoF? 

I don't know, but I messed up by opening that can of worms, this thread will get derailed. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know, but I messed up by opening that can of worms, this thread will get derailed. 

Consider the question withdrawn :)

Adam was certainly a player I've loved watching over the last decade plus. I remember when we traded Bedard and how highly he was thought of. I'd say he definitely delivered on and off the field.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You’re right - I just posted a response and deleted it after reading this.    This thread is for celebrating Adam’s time with the franchise.   

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, it's a very slippery path once you start reasoning for one player not in the HoF.  It's a bad debate.

That said, probably won't see another Orioles statue being unveiled for another 25+ years or so.  

I deleted my post so as not to derail the thread.   

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

How each team decides on statues is up to them; I don't think the Nats situation with Hondo applies here.    The Cubs have a statue to Harry Caray, ditto the Tigers and Ernie Harwell and the Cards with Jack Buck, but we aren't adding one for Chuck Thompson and yet all four are enshrined in Cooperstown.   Boog Powell played here for 14 years including two World Series champions.   Compare Boog's numbers to Adam's when taking "all-time greats" in an Orioles uniform (which is a relative term). Boog's #26 was worn by the likes of Bobby Bonilla, Pete Incaviglia Dave Dellucci and Brook Fordyce among many others.  Dempsey was here 12 seasons including the '83 champs.  What Boog and Dempsey have in common is being "immortalized" in a different way on Eutaw Street.  Jones was here 11 years; Mussina for 10, only the latter will ever have a plaque in Cooperstown.   No statue or retired number for Jones.    He should still get our tributes.

Adam is a slam dunk Orioles HOF choice.

Jones always played with a lot of energy and a big smile and his outgoing nature endeared himself to the fans.   I wish him success.

Not deleting this one, sorry.

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

How about we just say that Adam was a great Oriole, but the right time to talk statues is sometime after he's retired and we've all had a chance to appropriately let his time here sink in.

Archived