Alex Cobb named Opening Day starter

Going Underground

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It still amazes me that all the trades we made last year didn't produce a single young pitcher who was good enough to battle for a rotation spot in spring training. 

I might have missed it but did we bring in anyone who projected to be in the rotation?  Seems mostly bullpen and spot starters outside of some high ceiling turnaround.  

Cobb makes sense.  Assuming we go with Bundy for home opener.  

22 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

I might have missed it but did we bring in anyone who projected to be in the rotation?  Seems mostly bullpen and spot starters outside of some high ceiling turnaround.  

At the time of the trades people on here were sure talking them up.  

58 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It still amazes me that all the trades we made last year didn't produce a single young pitcher who was good enough to battle for a rotation spot in spring training. 

Kremer seems like the best one we got.    But he’s only pitched at AA and had a strained oblique at the start of spring training.    He could be one of our better starters by year-end if things break right.    I’m not too excited by Tate and Ortiz, but hopefully they’ll prove me wrong.   

1 hour ago, MikeAD said:

No we really didn't and that's kind of my point. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

But are you really amazed if you think about it?

I mean, I would have thought the law of averages would have worked in our favor, but when you're more concerned about dumping salary (i.e., the Gausman trade) than replenishing the farm system then I guess not. I could have lived with the Schoop deal being our worst one, but the Gausman deal was such an absolute waste of an asset. It still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. 

I remember last year Cobb got to 15 losses and still had plenty enough starts left that I thought he could easily lose 20 games. Towards the end of the season he finally started pitching better. 

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kremer seems like the best one we got.    But he’s only pitched at AA and had a strained oblique at the start of spring training.    He could be one of our better starters by year-end if things break right.    I’m not too excited by Tate and Ortiz, but hopefully they’ll prove me wrong.   

Yep, agree on Kremer. Of all the trades we made I definitely liked the Machado trade the most. Especially after seeing Diaz play this spring. I think he actually looks better than Verdugo

1 minute ago, Natty said:

I remember last year Cobb got to 15 losses and still had plenty enough starts left that I thought he could easily lose 20 games. Towards the end of the season he finally started pitching better. 

I'd argue he shouldn't have held out, but it actually worked to his advantage. When you think about it, it's pretty ridiculous that Cobb was able to get a four year deal when other pitchers like Lance Lynn were only getting one year deals. Really feels like Duquette and/or Brady got played.

I'm pretty confident that Cobb is our best pitcher and will be this season. Cashner is toast and I really don't see Bundy's value trending in the right direction. 

Archived