Are we in for some long games?

Aglets

Interesting observation after looking at the Grapefruit League standings today.

We have both SCORED more runs than any other GL team (yay!) and also ALLOWED more runs than any of them.  (not quite so yay)

I'm sure none of us would be surprised if we have a terrible pitching staff this year.........but what do people think about the early offensive barrage?     Just SSS smoke and mirrors........or might they be actually fun to watch?

To answer Aglets original question, I think smoke and mirrors. We have some young guys putting up gaudy numbers, but I don't think it can be sustained over 162.

And yes the pitching will suck. Cobb might be pretty good judging by his track record. Bundy might snap out of his funk but I doubt it. Cashner who knows? Probably just meh, like 10-12 or 12-10. The rest will be cannon fodder.

Bullpen might be lights out some nights and gasoline on a fire other nights. Very mixed bag.

Hopefully the defense will be good. Won't take much to be better than last year.

Our pitching is going to be abysmal. 

The staff allowed 892 runs in 2018. From 2006-2009, they allowed: 899, 868, 869 and 876 runs.

It wouldn't shock me to see them exceed the 2006 Orioles (who allowed 899 runs). 

We could see a scenario where the number of runs that they score is in the 600s like 2018 (622).

It's going to be a long, long season and there aren't many bright spots aside from evaluating individuals. 

9 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Our pitching is going to be abysmal. 

The staff allowed 892 runs in 2018. From 2006-2009, they allowed: 899, 868, 869 and 876 runs.

It wouldn't shock me to see them exceed the 2006 Orioles (who allowed 899 runs). 

We could see a scenario where the number of runs that they score is in the 600s like 2018 (622).

It's going to be a long, long season and there aren't many bright spots aside from evaluating individuals. 

I think this is right.   I’m hoping though that better defense will hold the runs allowed down a bit even if the pitching isn’t actually better.   

Archived