Will Araujo Make The Team?

Rene88

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

He only needs 17 days but is he really worthy of a spot on the 40 man? He has had an awful spring (ERA over 10+)

What say you?

I got to think his spot is dependent on what is on the waiver wire...

Depends on if Elias and Sig think he has any future with the team. They have no allegiances to Araujo and will cut him loose if they think that is the best move.

24 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I wouldn't keep him if he's not one of the seven best relievers and I don't think he is. 

I think that’s the wrong question.   The question is, does it seem likely that in a year or two he’d be one of our best 7?    If so, you put him on the roster for 17 days and then put him in the minors where he belongs.    But if you think it’s highly questionable that he’ll be one of our best 7 in the future, then sayonara.   I’m certainly in no position to judge this.

17 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I don't think you miss even a slight chance he may be good in the future for 17 meaningless days in a guaranteed losing season. Protect your assets.

What if we need to drop somebody from the 40 man who we think is more valuable than Araujo?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think that’s the wrong question.   The question is, does it seem likely that in a year or two he’d be one of our best 7?    If so, you put him on the roster for 17 days and then put him in the minors where he belongs.    But if you think it’s highly questionable that he’ll be one of our best 7 in the future, then sayonara.   I’m certainly in no position to judge this.

He's a middle reliever with poor command and one above average pitch.  I don't see the upside. Guys like him grow on trees. He's 25 years old.  Not some hot prospect we need to protect.  

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Not today...two years with different minor league coaching?  Don’t know...but am willing to risk having a guy who is a bit worse than the other bad relievers for 12 days. 

It isn't the 12 days I'm concerned about.  It's the spot on the 40.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What if we need to drop somebody from the 40 man who we think is more valuable than Araujo?

I don’t think Arajuo belongs on the 40 man. Plus the debate is more about Arajuo versus Smith Jr or Wilkerson. Alberto either makes the team or gets DFAd for Escobar IMO. We have to add Perez or Sucre. So who do we drop?  Arajuo, Wilkerson, or Smith Jr. I’d drop Arajuo. He doesn’t have an MLB fb. 

Archived