Villar .353

Davis .318

Martin .314

Perez .278

Nunez .250

Mullins .244

Sucre .125

Trumbo .000

Good to see Mancini, Villar and Davis moving up.

Cue posts talking about to early to tell, Spring Training doesn't mean anything, Jake Fox, at least it's good that these guys are all performing well, there's something to look forward to, and something from @DrungoHazewood about how Jack Enzenroth hit .450 for a week in July playing for the 1914 Kansas City Packers of the Federal League.

Am I missing anything?

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cue posts talking about to early to tell, Spring Training doesn't mean anything, Jake Fox, at least it's good that these guys are all performing well, there's something to look forward to, and something from @DrungoHazewood about how Jack Enzenroth hit .450 for a week in July playing for the 1914 Kansas City Packers of the Federal League.

Am I missing anything?

That'll do it, you just saved this thread 15-20 posts. 

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Am I missing anything?

What should we talk about? That’s not a flippant question either.

What thing or things that show in spring-training are most likely to translate into the regular season? I would think the defense would be most likely to translate. If a ball is hit hard, it doesn’t matter whether the guy who hit it is a double a scrub or an all star. You still got to handle it cleanly. A throw to third is a throw to third.

With that in mind, I think it is more important to focus on the defense and  how it determines the guys going north.

For the pitchers, I don’t know which would be the most important stat. Walks? Maybe pitches per inning? Ground ball ratio? I don’t know.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I made my point.  After Mancini, Villar and Davis not hitting early they are beginning to move up in OBP.

Well, that's good.  I'm not sure what that means for the regular season but I'm thinking Mancini ends up with a .315 - .330 OBP, Villar ends up in the .330 range and Davis forgets what it's like to stand on first base with a helmet on his head.

Just now, Philip said:

What thing or things that show in spring-training are most likely to translate into the regular season? I would think the defense would be most likely to translate. If a ball is hit hard, it doesn’t matter whether the guy who hit it is a double a scrub or an all star. You still got to handle it cleanly. A throw to third is a throw to third.

With that in mind, I think it is more important to focus on the defense and  how it determines the guys going north.

For the pitchers, I don’t know which would be the most important stat. Walks? Maybe pitches per inning? Ground ball ratio? I don’t know.

Yea. That’s it.   Not much else to talk about.   But you gotta admit Moose’s reply was great!  

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I'm not sure what translates but I agree defense most likely.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, that's good.  I'm not sure what that means for the regular season but I'm thinking Mancini ends up with a .315 - .330 OBP, Villar ends up in the .330 range and Davis forgets what it's like to stand on first base with a helmet on his head.

Maybe he will go full John Olreud though.  

Edit:  when did my avatar turn green, it was pink, actually I like green better anyway since I’m Irish. Nevermind. 

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

K rate and walk rate. Not perfect but still the most predictive things in these small samples. 

And Jack Friggin-Enzenroth

I do not know about others but the first stat I check each day when I check in to see how the game went is the E in the Box Score.   To me that is a stat that should not vary much between ST and Regular season.  That is, other than the discrepancy in Scorekeepers, who sometimes play a big part in the errors calculation.  

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Am I missing anything?

ST can tell you if someone is bad/overmatched.  

It hardly predicts good performance.

If Mullins goes 2 for 2 and 2 walks in four plate appearances, his OBP goes from .244 to .311.  If those two hits are Doubles , he goes from .605 OPS to a .758 OPS.  In small sample sizes one good or bad day changes the stat line dramatically.

Archived