3rd round of cuts

wildcard

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Worst case he would fit on every team who wasn't trying to be competitive.

And I'm guessing a lot of the ones that are.

People are overestimating the 7th or 8th guy in most bullpens. Scott has pluses and flaws. All those guys do. 

10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I think his slider had one of the highest whiff rates in the majors, not sure how that’s “throws hard but that’s all”.

I just think it’s wild that the Orioles had a rookie reliever with a top 20 K rate in baseball and people aren’t excited about him.

Interesting take. Scott has flashed dominant stuff, and he still could very well end up a very good reliever, but I have concerns over his fastball that plays much slower than the velocity. That 5th percentile hard hit % is concerning for a guy who throws in the upper 90s with a swing and miss slider. 

Batters hit .369 off his fastball with a .602 SLG. He only had a 17.4% WHIFF rate on a fastball that averaged 97 MPH. His .416 xwOBA is also concerning. 

I haven't even gotten to his lack of command and control. He's threw 44.0% of his pitches in the zone. League average is 49.9%. While his control has gotten better, he still struggles with command of both pitches.

Now, saying that, the slider can be special and he was throwing more and more last year and with analytics he might throw it even more. I would not be surprised if he ends up throwing more sliders than fastballs at some point.

I think Scott still has a chance to become a special asset if he can find more consistency and keep guys off his fastball, but I can certainly understand why people aren't excited about him. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Interesting take. Scott has flashed dominant stuff, and he still could very well end up a very good reliever, but I have concerns over his fastball that plays much slower than the velocity. That 5th percentile hard hit % is concerning for a guy who throws in the upper 90s with a swing and miss slider. 

Batters hit .369 off his fastball with a .602 SLG. He only had a 17.4% WHIFF rate on a fastball that averaged 97 MPH. His .416 xwOBA is also concerning. 

I haven't even gotten to his lack of command and control. He's threw 44.0% of his pitches in the zone. League average is 49.9%. While his control has gotten better, he still struggles with command of both pitches.

Now, saying that, the slider can be special and he was throwing more and more last year and with analytics he might throw it even more. I would not be surprised if he ends up throwing more sliders than fastballs at some point.

I think Scott still has a chance to become a special asset if he can find more consistency and keep guys off his fastball, but I can certainly understand why people aren't excited about him. 

For whatever reason I don't think he was throwing at maximum velocity last season.  If he does and it out this season I expect the numbers to look better.

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

All those things are true and he still managed to strike out almost 13 batters per 9 as a rookie, that’s elite. Without further analysis, that’s reason enough for me to be excited.

He definitely changed the intent with which he threw his fastball, like COC said. I wish I had the trackman data from Bowie so I could prove that it had more spin/life as well as a tick or two.

It played differently as well, I don’t have hard hit or pitch type breakdowns for MiLB stats but just look at the opposite field % in AA vs the majors. Guys were just fighting it off and there are plenty of FB mashers in AA (plus the slider wasn’t a weapon yet).

So there’s that potential for improvement, but regardless, consistency of command and mechanics is the latest developing trait for pitchers and you saw as well as I did how utterly dominant he was when he was on. Who else can you say is just consistency away from being one of the top relievers in baseball? 

19 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

All those things are true and he still managed to strike out almost 13 batters per 9 as a rookie, that’s elite. Without further analysis, that’s reason enough for me to be excited.

He definitely changed the intent with which he threw his fastball, like COC said. I wish I had the trackman data from Bowie so I could prove that it had more spin/life as well as a tick or two.

It played differently as well, I don’t have hard hit or pitch type breakdowns for MiLB stats but just look at the opposite field % in AA vs the majors. Guys were just fighting it off and there are plenty of FB mashers in AA (plus the slider wasn’t a weapon yet).

So there’s that potential for improvement, but regardless, consistency of command and mechanics is the latest developing trait for pitchers and you saw as well as I did how utterly dominant he was when he was on. Who else can you say is just consistency away from being one of the top relievers in baseball? 

I don't think it's just consistency. I just don't see enough whiff on his fastball despite the above average spin rate. I hope it will get better. There's certainly potential, but I don't see a lot of movement on that fastball which is probably to blame for it's hittablility.

Archived