Rethinking the OD roster based on the Hays cut

interloper

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think there’s a good chance that our Norfolk outfield of Santander, Hays, Diaz and Stewart could outhit the Baltimore outfield.    But, we are going to have to be patient. I’m more interested in who is manning our outfield in August than who is out there on opening day.  

I was very disappointed to see Hays and Santander go after tearing up ST pitching. And Diaz and Stewart were also hitting very well. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Natty said:

I was very disappointed to see Hays and Santander go after tearing up ST pitching. And Diaz and Stewart were also hitting very well. 

I’m disappointed on a certain level, but believe they were sent down for the long term good of the team.   And the long term is what’s important here.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You’ve really been harping on that subject over the last two days.    While I agree Mullins has a weak arm, that hasn’t stopped him from primarily playing CF in the minors or this spring.    As I pointed out in another thread, the difference between a strong arm and a weak one is only about one extra base taken every ten games.    That won’t necessarily stop a team from playing their rangiest OF in center.  

Thank you.

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think there’s a good chance that our Norfolk outfield of Santander, Hays, Diaz and Stewart could outhit the Baltimore outfield.    But, we are going to have to be patient. I’m more interested in who is manning our outfield in August than who is out there on opening day.  

I forgot all 4 were there...kinda solidifies Mullins making it I guess.

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

I forgot all 4 were there...kinda solidifies Mullins making it I guess.

For all I know, one or more of those four could be in Bowie rather than Norfolk so that everyone can play every day.   

8 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I agree, I was thinking more about  if Witt played himself back into the discussion and if it was more of a coin flip between him and Rutschman. Sisco, at 24, is still young enough to be part of the rebuild. Also since backup catchers are typically good defenders I don't see that being a realistic role for Sisco. His value is going to be 75% tied to his hitting. If he hits they can probably live with him being an slighting below average defender. Or, as you said, they can consider moving him to DH.   But if he plays DH on a regular basis I think the expectation for his level of production will be much higher. 

I think backup catchers typically being defense first has more to do with relative scarcity of offense at the position than it being a worse profile for the role.

13 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Jon Meoli:

Brandon Hyde said: no one has made the team except Alex Cobb but he looks forward to that time; he feels comfortable with Drew Jackson as fourth OF but not there yet; he will look closely at third time through stats for starters among other things. #Orioles

I'm predicting Davis makes the team, because dollars.

Archived