Rethinking the OD roster based on the Hays cut

interloper

I think Smith is a lock for the 4th OF spot. Why would Elias give up him for a milb FA like EY Jr. 

The position players are pretty much set. The bench will be Sucre, Smith, Jackson, Nunez. 

Alberto DFA for Sucre. 

Arajuo makes the team and gets shelled in his 5 appearances in the 15 games(17 days) he’s up. 

7 IP, 12 ER, 4HR

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I would be very surprised if Chance Sisco isn't the starting catcher. He already has just under a full season of service time (156 days) so there is no way to play service time games, unless they were to keep him down the entire season which isn't going to happen. He has already played 139 games in AAA and 132 in AA. I'm just not sure how much more development there could be. Is he really going to benefit from getting at-bats in AAA instead of the majors? Unlike Diaz and Hays it won't save the Orioles any money for him to be at Norfolk, so I think he gets every chance to be the starting catcher.

If Sisco is in the majors for all of the next two years, he will be arbitration eligible after the 2020 season as a super 2.  If they send Sisco down for a couple of months, he won't be arbitration eligible and the O's pay him less money in 2021.  So there is a service time incentive to send him down.

5 minutes ago, EricK said:

If Sisco is in the majors for all of the next two years, he will be arbitration eligible after the 2020 season as a super 2.  If they send Sisco down for a couple of months, he won't be arbitration eligible and the O's pay him less money in 2021.  So there is a service time incentive to send him down.

I think they should just send everyone down until June of 2021.  That way they can have control of them all until 2027!

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they should just send everyone down until June of 2021.  That way they can have control of them all until 2027!

If you assume the Orioles are a 60-win team and the average IL team is a .225 (in MLB terms) team, then the Tides might go, like, 96-44.  Steamrolling the International League would be more fun than going 60-102 in the majors.  Bundy might pitch to a 2.25 in Harbor Park, Cashner could look like a real pitcher, Givens strikes out 15 per nine, Villar wins the triple crown.  Fill the O's with waiver wire guys, transfer the MASN TV stuff to Norfolk and just broadcast them instead of the faux-MLBers.  I think there's real upside here.

1 hour ago, EricK said:

In two years Adley Rutschman will be in the majors.

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

O's make a waiver claim towards the end of ST for their 5th starter. Most likely a LHP.  2 non roster catchers make the team as well as Escobar and Eric Young Jr.  That's 5 additions to the 40 man. The 5 who are dropped are Wright, Araujo, Alberto, Wilkerson, and Yefry Ramirez.

Lineup

CF Mullins

2B Villar

LF Mancini

DH Trumbo

1B Davis

3B Nunez

RF Rickard

C Sucre

SS Martin

Bench

Susac, Escobar, Young, Jackson

Starters

Cobb

Bundy

Cashner

Hess

Waiver claim

Bullpen

Givens

Bleier

Castro

Fry

Karns

Yacabonis

Rogers

Hyde and Elias keep displaying ST numbers and up playing minor league numbers. In that regard, Ruiz, Sisco, and Smith have not excelled in AAA yet.  All three have options. All three go down.  

With our starting staff we need at least two relievers who can go 3-4 innings at a time.  With potentially an all RH staff, one of those should be a LH.  This is where Tanner Scott gets squeezed out by Rogers and Yacabonis.  It's also why Araujo goes.

This is a mildly hot take with all those DFAs. I'm not sure Elias lets two pitchers go on the waiver wire for the likes of Young Jr. and Escobar, two guys well past their prime. 

Elias literally said the other day, "I don't want to remove anyone from the 40 man roster". I don't think he meant that super literally, but still. There's definitely no need for Escobar with both Rule 5 players plus Villar and Nunez/Ruiz. Young is redundant with Rickard. Smith is the lefty complement to Rickard who is already on the 40-man. 

5 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I like Ruiz and his glove. I do think Young could prob play a much needed leadership role, particularly with base stealing. 

Need  LH OF bat to platoon with Joey in RF. Smith has better splits v RHP.

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Need  LH OF bat to platoon with Joey in RF. Smith has better splits v RHP.

I wonder if Elias is thinking this way even a little bit. Duquette would, but I doubt Elias is.

I think he's looking at the waiver wire only to find a guy that he at least has a chance to get some real future value out of (either trade potential or untapped physical upside). I don't think he cares much to find a platoon RFer to help us get from 50 to 52 wins. 

Archived