Rethinking the OD roster based on the Hays cut

interloper

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s clear that the reason Martin was available was because of a roster crunch in Oakland, why was Jackson available? Was it because of a similar crunch in Home team that led to him being available for Philly? Also, was there any prior arrangement beforehand with Philly to take him and then trade him to the orioles?

he seems to be doing Enough to make it onto most teams, not just this one.

23 minutes ago, Natty said:

So like we are not trying to win this season? Elias already said that service time manipulation had nothing to do with optioning Hays and Santander.

I like Elias but I do not necessarily believe this statement.    He’s not really in a position to say that service time was a factor in the decision, because he might invite a grievance from the union.   By the same token, there are arguable reasons to start both players in the minors despite their good spring numbers, so his statements are plausible enough.

Nice thread and thoughts. It is funny because in years past I was very passionate about who made the roster because a player or two could make a marginal difference in the division. Now? Really doesn’t matter too much but I trust Elias. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like Elias but I do not necessarily believe this statement.    He’s not really in a position to say that service time was a factor in the decision, because he might invite a grievance from the union.   By the same token, there are arguable reasons to start both players in the minors despite their good spring numbers, so his statements are plausible enough.

Frobby gets it...spot on. Elias definitely wants to be careful with a walkout all but guaranteed. 

Since making the OP, I've heard some plausible reasons why Sisco makes the team from wildcard, Luke, etc. So I would say I'm not super confident about which way that goes now. 

Tough to figure out which way they go on anything really. They could make a bunch of waiver claims and totally throw everything on its head.

6 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Frobby gets it...spot on. Elias definitely wants to be careful with a walkout all but guaranteed. 

The two sides are already talking.

I think both sides are aware of the damage that a stoppage would create and would prefer to avoid one.

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I would be very surprised if Chance Sisco isn't the starting catcher. He already has just under a full season of service time (156 days) so there is no way to play service time games, unless they were to keep him down the entire season which isn't going to happen. He has already played 139 games in AAA and 132 in AA. I'm just not sure how much more development there could be. Is he really going to benefit from getting at-bats in AAA instead of the majors? Unlike Diaz and Hays it won't save the Orioles any money for him to be at Norfolk, so I think he gets every chance to be the starting catcher.

I agree with this 100% and despite what Elias says sending Hays down has MUCH more to do with delaying his service time then it does his development. They don't need to play the service time game with Sisco so there's no reason he shouldn't be in the lineup opening day. It's time for him to sink or swim and they need to determine if catcher is a position of need before the draft. 

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's time for him to sink or swim and they need to determine if catcher is a position of need before the draft. 

I don't care how good Sisco is, if a catcher is the best player available at 1:1, (and it looks like one might be) you take him. If Sisco is good enough to have legit trade value in a couple years then that would be gravy, and if he ends up as one of the better backups in the league that would be fine too. Backup catchers still play 40+ games and with a plus-bat catcher who occasionally DHs when he doesn't catch, a backup can play even more.

I kind of doubt that Elias is going to pivot 100% from one mentality to another. Just because he made a comment about development to justify Hays does not mean that is the only thing he is thinking about with every player. While Sisco did not dominate with the bat at AAA, he has done his time and has little to gain by staying, IMO. Agreed with the sink or swim comment.

C- Sisco, Sucre

1B - Davis

2B - Villar

Archived