Rich Dubroff Interviews Sig Mejdal 3/17

bobmc

Nice interview from Rich with a little different twist (to cherry pick):

Q-You’ve made some new hires. Is this like building an expansion team?

A-“It’s no mystery that we were the 30th best team in baseball last year. Our farm system is in the bottom tier of farm systems, so from that standpoint it is. The fact that there were zero analysts, from that standpoint, perhaps it’s a bit like an expansion team but unlike an expansion team, this is the Baltimore Orioles with a tremendous amount of past success and history, so I never feel like this is an expansion team. I feel like this is just a team that, for whatever reasons, hasn’t taken advantage of  some of the best processes throughout baseball.”

Q-The people you’re hiring now, are they young Sigs?

A-“Hopefully, they’re young Sigs, but they’re more capable in some of the areas that I was weak at. They come from technical fields. It’s either computer science, statistics…many will have advanced master’s degrees in analytics, but also a baseball passion because these are the most in demand skills on this plant. There’s other industries that, frankly, will pay more than baseball, so we look for someone who’s internally motivated and inspired to work in baseball along with having those technical skills, but also people skills. You may be an analyst, but you’re also in change management. You’re asking experienced people to rethink and to change, and if you’re going to see success with that, you’re going to have to do it in a sensitive, socially mature way.”

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/03/18/analytics-guru-sig-mejdal-discusses-role-orioles/

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Going to be a long rebuild...get comfy. May I suggest some Natitude while you wait?:)

Who wants to root for a team that's never won a single playoff series?   Seems like an exercise in futility.

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

Who wants to root for a team that's never won a single playoff series? That seems like an exercise in futility.

o

The Nationals have no playoff series wins in club history (2005 - Present.)

They do have one playoff series win in franchise history (1969 - Present.)

The Expos beat the defending World Champion Phillies 3 games to 2 in October of 1981, in a divisional playoff series. Commissioner Bowie Kuhn used a split-season format because of the Players' strike that had occurred between June and August, and an additional round of playoffs was added because of it.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/1981_NEDIV.shtml

o

I'm glad to hear that he's hiring smart analytics and computer science individuals with people skills. Seems like a big missing piece to the puzzle of getting good info to the players. Just thinking back on what Britton said when he joined the Yankees. 

But I'm equally mad that they weren't doing these things before this season. It's these quotes that get me fuming, "I feel like this is just a team that, for whatever reasons, hasn’t taken advantage of some of the best processes throughout baseball.”  Ugh, that kills me. ?

Anyway, I'll try to stay glad that we are doing the right things now, room for improvement. ?

Archived