Rich Dubroff Interviews Sig Mejdal 3/17

bobmc

What is going to take the longest is the starting pitching.   The O's have to wait for DL Hall, Rodriguez, Kremer and Akin.    The Astros supplemented the starting pitching with trades and free agents.   We are talking 2022 to contend for the playoff probably.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What is going to take the longest is the starting pitching.   The O's have to wait for DL Hall, Rodriguez, Kremer and Akin.    The Astros supplemented the starting pitching with trades and free agents.   We are talking 2022 to contend for the playoff probably.

Are you sure that 2021 won't be the year?

2 hours ago, weams said:

Are you sure that 2021 won't be the year?

I'm setting my expectation towards 2022, when Rutschman's bookend from 2020's draft can perhaps break in in May.  Cobb is off the books that year if not traded beforehand, and it's the last year of Davis.  It's Mancini's Arb3 year, and if we drive this board crazy and make all the good players stay at AAA all year, 2022 is a club not Arb year for Diaz and Mountcastle.  

At $21 million for Davis, $8 million for Mancini (being sentimental) and $15 million for 22 others in club or early Arb years, the club can spend $30M each on a hitter and a pitcher and have a payroll around $100M.   For the sake of orange-colored glasses, I'll guess we'll be somewhere Trevor Bauer wants to try for 1-year and note that the 2022 SS free agent class is Lindor, Correa, Story, Seager.

So I'm hoping for something like:

McKenna/Mullins CF, Lindor SS, Diaz RF, Mountcastle DH, Rutschman C, Hays LF, Mancini 1B.

The other infielders hit 8th/9th and we see what Bannon, Encarncion, Carmona and Hall grow into.  Maybe Grenier's glove plays if it's an iffy 2022 SS like Correa or Seager.  I think the odds favor getting 1 infielder you can live with out of that batch.

And the top 4 pitchers ideally are Bauer, some NCAA hotshot from next summer's draft, Hall and Rodriguez.  Practically it's more likely to be whoever out of Hall/Rodriguez makes it, then instead of both HS studs the #4 guy is whoever out of Kremer/Akin/Lowther makes it.  Sig gets to do science lab with everyone else to see who fits 60, 85 or 110 inning roles.

I have no idea what relievers will be good three months from now let alone three years from now, but you can always pick Chris Ray type guys in the middle rounds of the 2021 draft if things are gelling.

I think the likeliest path to 2021 relevance is having Hudson/Mulder/Zito type things happen with the kids.

Man...I think Blaine Knight might be the most under rated prospect on this board. It's like people don't even know he exists. I'm probably overly enthusiastic about him because I watched him pitch in the College World Series, but he's a baller. I'm not saying he has the same upside of Gausman, but I think there's a good shot he's better for the O's than Guasman ever was. Maybe (unfortunately) Bundy too.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/11/06/blaine-knight-rhp-2018-9-prospect/ 

9 hours ago, weams said:

Heck, we might win it all next season !!!

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Why not this year ???

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Service time games.

o

The 2019 Orioles will get eliminated from the division title on the next-to-the-last day of the season in a road game by the eventual division champions (the Red Sox), just like the 1989 team did (at the SkyDome, by the Blue Jays.)

o

Archived