Dwight Smith Jr starting left fielder?

wildcard

38 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Let's say for the sake of argument that Trumbo is still hurt and Davis gets released.  Who besides Mancini can play first?  Are we a case of food poisoning or the flu away from Jace Peterson (Zips projection for .645 OPS) starting opening day at first base?  I guess Wilkerson (.576) or Ruiz (.657) could play there in a pinch.

Davis is not going to get released in the near term.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Orioles.com updated Smith's record with his 0 for 4 yesterday.  I think he is now hitting .233 and a .714 OPS according to the Box Score.

Which shows how ridiculously small these samples are — one bad day and his BA dropped .100 points.    Elias/Hyde are not going to make their roster decisions solely or even primarily based on those kind of stats in that small a sample.    

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Young is 34 and has not hit well in his major league career.  His ST numbers are a mirage.  He can still play defense and run if that is enough for Elias to want him on the team.    However, someone has to be DFA'd to make room for him.

That might be a dealbreaker, but isn’t the same true of Smith as well?

I don’t understand why Trumbo isn’t just flat out released. He won’t be a trade chip. Best case scenario is we get someone for him that’s equivalent to whoever we’d pick off the waiver wire in place of his roster spot anyways. Núñez or Mancini would be great DH options. 

32 minutes ago, Philip said:

That might be a dealbreaker, but isn’t the same true of Smith as well?

No.

Smith is on a major league contract.   Has a 293/365/467/833 split in 94  major league career at bats.  He has a 271/354/401/755 in 705 at bat at AAA in the International league

Young is on a minor league contract.  Has 245/312/332/645  in 1725 at in the majors.   Young is probably a better defensive outfielder than Smith.  In order to get Young on the major league roster they have to DFA  someone else.

13 minutes ago, oriole said:

I don’t understand why Trumbo isn’t just flat out released. He won’t be a trade chip. Best case scenario is we get someone for him that’s equivalent to whoever we’d pick off the waiver wire in place of his roster spot anyways. Núñez or Mancini would be great DH options. 

Trumbo is owed 13.5m this season.   If he can get healthy by May and hits well for three months then maybe the O's can trade him for salary relief and save 4.5m of that.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Let's say for the sake of argument that Trumbo is still hurt and Davis gets released.  Who besides Mancini can play first?  Are we a case of food poisoning or the flu away from Jace Peterson (Zips projection for .645 OPS) starting opening day at first base?  I guess Wilkerson (.576) or Ruiz (.657) could play there in a pinch.

There's always the waiver wire too.  It will be interesting to see how many 1-dimensional sluggers with semi-famous names get waived or demoted next week or as the year goes along.

If Kyle Seager hadn't wrecked his wrist, I heard speculation that notwithstanding 1400 PA's the last 2.5 years, the Mariners were going to put Ryon Healy back at AAA because Dan Vogelbach is out of options.

Just imagine the excitement if we do move on from Davis and get to start cycling those kind of guys while Ryan Mountcastle goes for the AAA championship!

4 hours ago, Natty said:

Thanks for those numbers. Maybe Mancini is overwhelmed by the OF and when he doesn't have to worry about it he hits better. 

What I like is that he apparently can concentrate while DHing.  Trumbo has lower numbers as a DH as do many other players.  If Mancini is better there, that is great.

o

vs. METS, 3/25 )) (Spring Training)

Smith Jr had a monster day in his final Spring Training game.

He went 3-for-3 with 2 Home Run in 3 Plate Appearances.

Overall for the 2019 Spring Training season, he batted .325 with a .357 OBP and a 1.082 OPS in 42 Plate Appearances.

o

Archived