3/22 Cut(s)

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I must say, Young proved to be a real class act in the short time he was here.   I wouldn’t mind at all if he ended up back in our organization, though I do want all of Hays/Stewart/Santander/Diaz/McKenna getting full time at bats.   

Yeah, I'm a fan. That's a good dude right there. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If you are right then Nunez probably DHs at least some of the time and Mancini plays some DH and some LF.

Yeah, basically. In this scenario Nunez is pretty much the full-time DH (and probably a pretty solid one too, honestly). 

Could see Mancini playing 1B while Davis sits against tough lefties, with maybe Jackson and Rickard in the corners or something. 

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

I predict:

Alberto DFA
Smith makes it
Sucre makes it
Araujo makes it
Trumbo IL
Both Nunez and Ruiz make it
Still room for an extra reliever (I think) and I'll say Scott

Sounds about right.

By "extra reliever", who do you have making it?

I have Givens, Castro, Karns, Bleier, Fry, Araujo. It look like Wright is in the rotation (starting today). That would leave one spot for Scott as well as Rogers, Means, Yacabonis, and Phillips. I don't see a compelling case for any of them but I think Rogers has a best body of work.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Sounds about right.

By "extra reliever", who do you have making it?

I have Givens, Castro, Karns, Bleier, Fry, Araujo. It look like Wright is in the rotation (starting today). That would leave one spot for Scott as well as Rogers, Means, Yacabonis, and Phillips. I don't see a compelling case for any of them but I think Rogers has a best body of work.

The final reliever spot could go anywhere at this point. I have Scott right now, but Rogers gives you more length (unless he makes it as a SP and Wright is the bullpen guy). Yacabonis I think maybe comes up after Araujo is sent down. Phillips has really earned it, but he's easy to stash.

10 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Anthony Santander played in Spring Training in 2017 and still got 60 day DL'ed.

Maybe they do it to Bleier to get him some extra reps that they think 10 days won't do much for.

I hope you are joking.  Santander was a Rule 5 guy in 2017.  He had only played in A+ ball before the O's claimed him.   The 60 day DLing was a whole different situation from Trumbo.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah, basically. In this scenario Nunez is pretty much the full-time DH (and probably a pretty solid one too, honestly). 

Could see Mancini playing 1B while Davis sits against tough lefties, with maybe Jackson and Rickard in the corners or something. 

Yes if Davis does not hit than he is probably not going to be a regular at 1B.   Mancini could play a lot there.   I just don't know how much time the O's give Davis before he becomes a project that does not play every day.

I wonder if they actually have to put Sucre on the roster today or just tell him that he made the team.   The difference is when they have to DFA Alberto.  I would like to see them wait until the 27th to DFA Alberto.  Maybe that gives him a better chance of going unclaimed.

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Pedroia did not play in ST last year.  As a second baseman the bar is a lot higher for health than Trumbo as a DH.   I  think its pretty easy to say that Trumbo should not play in the cold of April with that knee.  But by May he can probably be ready considering he is swinging and  and jogging to first now.

But he is going to need time for a rehab stint, so if he is shut down the end of March and all of April, he needs to get his ABs in May. Might as well put him on the 60 day IL and get the roster spot.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I hope you are joking.  Santander was a Rule 5 guy in 2017.  He had only played in A+ ball before the O's claimed him.   The 60 day DLing was a whole different situation from Trumbo.

I'm not joking. Try looking at facts.

Santander had an injury and wasn't going to be ready for the first month. He still played in the Spring but the Orioles wanted that extra roster spot in the meantime and knew it would take longer than 10 days to get him healthy.

Same deal with Trumbo. He isn't healthy and 20 days (10 from Opening Day then 10 day IL) won't magically make him able to bat, run, and play the field. Plus, he would come back during warmer weather, like it was pointed out, might help the knee too.

60 day Trumbo, get a roster spot. 

Cutting Young JR and Escobar could be the set up to cutting Davis. I realize we are talking different situations but hear me out on these two thoughts:

1. Elias making it clear they want to see what they have in the young guys and are opening as many positions up as possible by not blocking anyone with veterans.

2. He can't make it look like they are totally tanking (don't forget Tony Clark is watching LOL) so they need to make it look like they are actually trying. Rolling out someone who will K 3 three times per game will not meet that "not totally tanking" criteria.

Side note: I am not trying to turn this into "another Chris Davis thread".

3 minutes ago, Eddie_Ripken said:

Cutting Young JR and Escobar could be the set up to cutting Davis. I realize we are talking different situations but hear me out on these two thoughts:

1. Elias making it clear they want to see what they have in the young guys and are opening as many positions up as possible by not blocking anyone with veterans.

2. He can't make it look like they are totally tanking (don't forget Tony Clark is watching LOL) so they need to make it look like they are actually trying. Rolling out someone who will K 3 three times per game will not meet that "not totally tanking" criteria.

Side note: I am not trying to turn this into "another Chris Davis thread".

The Orioles are not going to cut Chris Davis.

I repeat, The Orioles are not going to cut Chris Davis.

4 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

Until when?

There has to be a tipping point. It is impossible that they will keep him for the duration of this contract.

If it is impossible they will keep him for the entire length of his contract, then the question becomes when will they cut him. The circumstances won’t change. He’s getting older, he’s not improving, and he’s playing at such a low level that there is no reason to believe he will ever improve. Given that the money is already his,  The only reason to keep him would be the hope of his improvement, which we have clearly seen is an empty hope. 

Ergo, there is exactly 0 reason not to cut him.

6 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

Anybody remember the world before massive pitching staffs, when teams would have endless benches and sometimes do goofy stuff with that?  Teams would keep a Dave Stapleton just to play defense for Bill Buckner three times a month.  Or they'd have Mike Squires to be the defensive replacement at first and occasionally let him catch or play third base left-handed.  Or they'd have Moe Berg as the 3rd or 4th catcher to tell funny stories and sometimes play 10 or 20 games the whole year.

That's now Chris Davis.  He can come in to play defense at first for the last three innings of blowouts, and maybe pitch an inning every once in a while.  Only that the Orioles are going to do this on a roster with 13 pitchers.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Anybody remember the world before massive pitching staffs, when teams would have endless benches and sometimes do goofy stuff with that?  Teams would keep a Dave Stapleton just to play defense for Bill Buckner three times a month.  Or they'd have Mike Squires to be the defensive replacement at first and occasionally let him catch or play third base left-handed.  Or they'd have Moe Berg as the 3rd or 4th catcher to tell funny stories and sometimes play 10 or 20 games the whole year.

That's now Chris Davis.  He can come in to play defense at first for the last three innings of blowouts, and maybe pitch an inning every once in a while.  Only that the Orioles are going to do this on a roster with 13 pitchers.

Those who are wary that the O's will never cut Davis (probably not many) should be scared of next year's 26-man roster.

Archived