O's Claim Catcher Pedro Severino

wildcard

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Fun fact: Tim Beckham and Severino both have higher HR/FB rates this year than Giancarlo Stanton did last year.

I liked Mike better. Good, solid baseball name. Heck, one of my brothers is Mike. Giancarlo sounds like a male model.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Negligible.

This will be one of the few times I'll disagree with you - so I'm probably wrong.  But... Baseball America had him as the 57th overall prospect going into 2017 and 68th going into 2018.  And he's hit well so far this season.  It's not at all unusual for young catchers to start off poorly in the bigs.  Good catchers are so rare that teams will go out of their way in the hopes of getting one and some will have significant interest in Sisco, imo.     

17 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

This will be one of the few times I'll disagree with you - so I'm probably wrong.  But... Baseball America had him as the 57th overall prospect going into 2017 and 68th going into 2018.  And he's hit well so far this season.  It's not at all unusual for young catchers to start off poorly in the bigs.  Good catchers are so rare that teams will go out of their way in the hopes of getting one and some will have significant interest in Sisco, imo.     

Yep. Former top prospect. And you can't argue with what you see, which is: 1) good ABs resulting in high OBP, 2) aggressive, smooth, powerful swings on balls, 3) exit velocity. 

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

I also remember seeing Josh Bell JUST BARELY MISS doing it against the Rangers, in 2010.

After hitting 2 Home Runs in the 3rd and 4th innings respectively, Bell hit a ball that that hit high off the right field wall in the 6th, just a few feet too far top the right ........ if he had pulled the ball just a bit less, it would have sailed a good 10 feet over the right-centerfield wall. It wound up hitting high off of the 24-foot high wall, instead. Subsequently, Bell had to settle for a very long single, and a career day.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201008210.shtml

o

Josh Bell, man, that's risking a bad hex. We traded Flat Breezy for him and Steve Johnson and he had only two homers outside of that game his whole disappointingly brief career, with a lifetime BA below the Mendoza Line. Lee Lacy. on the other hand, was a good hitter throughout a 15-year career.

My candidate for unlikely-3-homer game by an Oriole is JUAN BENIQUEZ, June 12, 1986 vs. the Yankees at the age of 36! I remember seeing the homers on TV, it must have been AFKN in Seoul because that's where I was those days and so most likely on a daily highlights show:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198606120.shtml

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yep. Former top prospect. And you can't argue with what you see, which is: 1) good ABs resulting in high OBP, 2) aggressive, smooth, powerful swings on balls, 3) exit velocity. 

My question is, why did BA rank him as a top prospect?   Did they believe he had more offensive potential that his offensive numbers showed, or did they just like his defense?

35 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Going to need to sustain this for a while longer.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'd love for Pedro Severino to have been bitten by a radioactive scorpion and is now Yogi Berra.  There just aren't that many 25-year-old guys with .650 OPSes in AAA who turn into Jimmie Foxx overnight and have it stick.

I get it, just giving you a hard time.

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I also remember seeing Josh Bell JUST BARELY MISS doing it against the Rangers, in 2010.

After hitting 2 Home Runs in the 3rd and 4th innings respectively, Bell hit a ball that that hit high off the right field wall in the 6th, just a few feet too far top the right ........ if he had pulled the ball just a bit less, it would have sailed a good 10 feet over the right-centerfield wall. It wound up hitting high off of the 24-foot high wall, instead. Subsequently, Bell had to settle for a very long single, and a career day.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201008210.shtml

o

16 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Josh Bell, man, that's risking a bad hex. We traded Flat Breezy for him and Steve Johnson, and he had only two homers outside of that game his whole disappointingly brief career, with a lifetime BA below the Mendoza Line. Lee Lacy, on the other hand, was a good hitter throughout a 15-year career.

My candidate for unlikely-3-homer game by an Oriole is JUAN BENIQUEZ, June 12, 1986 vs. the Yankees at the age of 36 !!! I remember seeing the homers on TV, it must have been AFKN in Seoul because that's where I was those days, and so it was most likely on a daily highlights show:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198606120.shtml

o

Unlike the 3 examples that I cited (Eddie Murray, Lee Lacy, and Josh Bell), the Orioles lost that game to the Yankees.

o

40 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My question is, why did BA rank him as a top prospect?   Did they believe he had more offensive potential that his offensive numbers showed, or did they just like his defense?

Ruzious was talking about Sisco, who was #57 and #68 pre-2017 and 2018. I think interloper (and thus you) are talking about Severino, who I haven't seen on any rankings.

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2019 at 11:23 PM, Tony-OH said:

Yep, he's a plus-plus thrower.

Funny thing, as his bat has emerged, he's fallen back to an average thrower. Still a good defensive catcher, but not a plus-plus arm like advertised. 

Either way, I hope he doesn't get buried as the platoon catcher. I'd rather Sisco get DH time and bench Davis while Severino gets regular at bats against righties and lefties.

11 hours ago, TGO said:

These are small sample sizes, especially to be comparing year to year, but he's decreased his O-Swing% and increased his launch angle (that looks to date back to last year but he didn't get a lot of runway to work with).

Hard to believe "don't swing at balls" isn't a more popular change in hitting approach. ?

Could be that with the increase in playing time that he's just seeing the ball better or with the analytics he's got a good idea of what they are trying to do to him.

Pitchers will now make some adjustments back with him so we will see how this plays out after the big game.

I like his approach at the plate though.