O's Claim Catcher Pedro Severino

wildcard

Both Sucre and Severino are defense first catchers...I think it shows what the O’s value. It’s unfortunate for Sisco but this is a hard team to play for if you’re not a great catcher considering DH and 1B are atrociously backlogged. 

I hate this move on so many levels.

First, the catching situation:

- They claim someone with no options who is good at defense, but doesn't hit. Why?

- if Sisco goes to Norfolk, you now have 2 catchers with good defense and no offense.

- If you carry all 3, you screw your bench over.

- If Wynns is healthy, play him and Sisco. You need to see what you have.

- You make this move after telling Sucre not to opt out yesterday. Good job....

- Severino comes in with only a few days to go and to learn the pitchers. The same situation they threw Sucre into and gave him time in the Minor League camp, simulated games, bullpen sessions, ect to learn in 2 weeks. 

Now, for the DFA:

- What compromising pictures does Hanser Alberto have to stay on the team? Cut him already. Go with the younger guy you can work on.

This move is puzzling and leads to a lot of questions. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I hate this move on so many levels.

First, the catching situation:

- They claim someone with no options who is good at defense, but doesn't hit. Why?

- if Sisco goes to Norfolk, you now have 2 catchers with good defense and no offense.

- If you carry all 3, you screw your bench over.

- If Wynns is healthy, play him and Sisco. You need to see what you have.

- You make this move after telling Sucre not to opt out yesterday. Good job....

- Severino comes in with only a few days to go and to learn the pitchers. The same situation they threw Sucre into and gave him time in the Minor League camp, simulated games, bullpen sessions, ect to learn in 2 weeks. 

Now, for the DFA:

- What compromising pictures does Hanser Alberto have to stay on the team? Cut him already. Go with the younger guy you can work on.

This move is puzzling and leads to a lot of questions. 

Wynns is not ready to play yet.Be interesting if Sucre options out.

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Wynns is not ready to play yet.Be interesting if Sucre options out.

I know he isn't ready yet, hence why I said "if he is healthy." Yesterday was Sucre's deadline. 

4 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Just because Severino is here doesn’t mean he won’t get DFA’d. I don’t imagine there are many other teams who would take him on right now.

This seemed like a "claim him just because" move, which seems stupid to do. Severino does not make any part of this roster better. 

11 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Just because Severino is here doesn’t mean he won’t get DFA’d. I don’t imagine there are many other teams who would take him on right now.

That's what I was thinking.  I don't see Sisco being in danger because of this move.  Perhaps Sucre's spot is in jeopardy if they end up liking Severino more, but most likely you pass him through waivers and stash him at Triple A and release one of the other catchers in Norfolk. 

9 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

My thoughts exactly, Elias likes the kid values his Defense realizes that there is a good chance  he would go unclaimed and we outright to the minors. I’d rather have his arm and defense than Stevie Wilkerson.  Dfa cat and mouse game has started. 

15 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I know he isn't ready yet, hence why I said "if he is healthy." Yesterday was Sucre's deadline. 

This seemed like a "claim him just because" move, which seems stupid to do. Severino does not make any part of this roster better. 

Severino has Sucre skills only 6 years younger.

• Upvote 2

Maybe Sucre assumed he'd made the team so he didn't exercise his opt out yesterday. He now goes to Norfolk until his next opt out date (I believe that's in May). 

Severino is a  full five years younger than Sucre. Perhaps that means something.

Wonder what kind of input Cossins had on this move.