Who loses at bats? Davis/Nunez/Mancini?

Tony-OH

With Chris Davis forced onto the roster to start the season, there are three players for DH/1B in Davis, Trey Mancini and Renato Nunez. Now in Nunez will most likely platoon with Ruiz to pick up extra at bats, but I think the Orioles would like to evaluate him as much as possible. 

So I guess the question is, do you think Davis will start everyday, or will there be some time share between the three across 1b and DH?

Here's how I see it. Mancini should be an everyday guy so it's really going to come down to Davis and Renato splitting right-handed pitching starts. Renato will platoon with Ruiz who OPS'd .607 against southpaws in AAA last year but will also get some ABs at DH. I'd also play Mancini at 1B everyday.

Hyde likes to play everybody everywhere.  I don't think that was just ST.   He will see that everyone gets at bats until they prove they do not deserve them.   So Davis/Mancini/Nunez all see at bats and all sit at times.   Nunez arm may limit him to DH for a while but certainly not full time.

I also expect Jackson to play 75% of the time.  SS/2B/3B/ any of the out field positions.  Jackson may platoon with Mullins in CF but I think Jackson will not be limited  to playing vs lefties there.

Davis 1B/DH

Mancini LF/1B/DH

Nunez DH for now.  When is arm soreness goes add 3B/1B

Jackson  SS/2B/3B/LF/CF/RF

Alberto SS/2B/3B

Rickard RF/LF/CF

Smith LF/RF/DH

Villar 2B/SS

Martin SS

Ruiz 3B/DH

Sucre/Severino C

On 3/25/2019 at 1:16 PM, Tony-OH said:

So I guess the question is, do you think Davis will start everyday, or will there be some time share between the three across 1b and DH?

1. I think it's anyone's guess how many ABs Davis gets. He could play every day or once/week. I'd guess the # of ABs will adjust as the season progresses and he has, or doesn't have, results.

2. This is in the minors forum. Should probably be moved to Orioles Talk, I'd guess.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hyde likes to play everybody everywhere.  I don't think that was just ST.   He will see that everyone gets at bats until they prove they do not deserve them.   So Davis/Mancini/Nunez all see at bats and all sit at times.   Nunez arm may limit him to DH for a while but certainly not full time.

I also expect Jackson to play 75% of the time.  SS/2B/3B/ any of the out field positions.  Jackson may platoon with Mullins in CF but I think Jackson will not be limited  to playing vs lefties there.

Davis 1B/DH

Mancini LF/1B/DH

Nunez DH for now.  When is arm soreness goes add 3B/1B

Jackson  SS/2B/3B/LF/CF/RF

Alberto SS/2B/3B

Rickard RF/LF/CF

Smith LF/RF/DH

Villar 2B/SS

Martin SS

Ruiz 3B/DH

Sucre/Severino C

I tend to agree with you, but we won't know until the regular season starts whether that was spring training Hyde. Considering the versatility of the players on the 25-man roster, I could certainly see players playing different positions in order to get to the right match ups and to provide playing time more evenly. I betcha it will be a lot more even than Buck. I doubt a player will get buried for a week at a time or more.

It will be interesting to see if any of these options have any effect on team  performance. I'm a little nervous about games with Nunez at 3B and Mancini in LF cause we could see some ground balls to third disappear for a long time.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

It will be interesting to see if any of these options have any effect on team  performance. I'm a little nervous about games with Nunez at 3B and Mancini in LF cause we could see some ground balls to third disappear for a long time.

I think they will primarily use that line up when Bundy is pitching. The ball still disappears, but the left side defense looks much better.  Another gift of analytics. ;) 

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Nunez has not started at third since March 16th. Played a game or two at first since then. Not sure how healthy he is and when and if he plays much third this year,

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I tend to agree with you, but we won't know until the regular season starts whether that was spring training Hyde. Considering the versatility of the players on the 25-man roster, I could certainly see players playing different positions in order to get to the right match ups and to provide playing time more evenly. I betcha it will be a lot more even than Buck. I doubt a player will get buried for a week at a time or more.

Agree with most of this, especially "a lot more than Buck" but I think Hyde will bench Davis when he has had enough. He has made several comments about being competitive and while he (and we) can hope for a good outcome, I don't believe it is possible. IMO that will tell whether Elias and Hyde have control of the roster.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That would fall under Elias not ownership.

But Hyde makes the lineup. Did Elias tell him you have to play Davis? I'm looking for the analytic that puts Davis in the lineup and cant see it. 

Nunez having the arm injury really limits him.  He is likely the player to benefit the most from the Trumbo injury.  I don't know how much they can keep trotting Davis out there, but we shouldn't lose players because of him.  I'm not sure if Nunez would be a big loss, but he was pretty decent at the plate last year.  

It's starting to look like that the day we decide to move on from Davis and Trumbo, will be the last days they play professional baseball.  Trumbo starting on the IL really takes the chances of him being traded down to 1%.  I think Trumbo is DFA'd "Valencia" style after we cannot trade him.  Davis survives the season but isn't back next year.  

Archived