Vegas: O’s are 2000-1 shot, over/under at 58.5

Frobby

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, higgybaby said:

I have no clue how this works. How does the over/under work?

so if I bet $100 on this would I win $200,000 if they win?

No.  The 2000-1 bet would be O's to win the world series.  Over/under is a straight bet that they will win more or less than the number..

3 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

If they win the World Series, yes.  These are 2 different bets.  2000-1 to win the World Series on a $100 bet.

If you bet $100 on the over, and they win 59+ games, you'd get $190 back.

3 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Yes, if we win the World Series.

In case the original post wasn't clear, he was describing 2 separate bets.  2000 to 1 on winning the World Series, and another over/under bet in whether the Orioles would win more or less than 58.5 games.  For that bet you would likely be betting $110 to win $100, regardless of which side you chose.

Slow down.  Please don't go betting the Orioles (+2000) to win the WS. If you have some money to lose, sure go ahead take the sucker bet and waste your money.  Vegas knows that.

As far as lowering the under total.  For those that may not know, it has nothing to do with anything the Orioles have done with players or what not.... it is simply that Vegas is adjusting the line to get people to start betting the over to hedge the bet.

The under is still the safe bet here.

1 minute ago, Mayor McCheese said:

Slow down.  Please don't go betting the Orioles (+2000) to win the WS. If you have some money to lose, sure go ahead take the sucker bet and waste your money.  Vegas knows that.

As far as lowering the under total.  For those that may not know, it has nothing to do with anything the Orioles have done with players or what not.... it is simply that Vegas is adjusting the line to get people to start betting the over to hedge the bet.

Exactly, the reason the payout is so enticing is to get people to actually bet. Don't throw away your money. You'd be better off getting a lottery ticket.

16 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

If they win the World Series, yes.  These are 2 different bets.  2000-1 to win the World Series on a $100 bet.

If you bet $100 on the over, and they win 59+ games, you'd get $190 back.

So I could be 20,000 and get $10 back on my investment if they don't make the World Series? I guess punting the 20k in a CD would make more. Sure things don't pay well. 

8 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

Sure, I think it's wild that the public is heavy on the under at 59.5 that they have to move the line downward.  

Archived