Opening Day Analytics in Orioles 7-2 loss to Yankees

Tony-OH

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I told everyone it was a bad idea to sign him.

My conscience is clean.

I never wanted him, either.  I failed to see how he'd be an upgrade over Wade Miley.  Although Miley was good in Milwaukee last year and now he's in Houston so he's gonna be a Cy Young candidate.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If he hadn't been a top draft pick would you have still felt that way?

Nope, but that's a loaded question.  Anyone who's been a top draft pick still has that aura of hope around them.  I forget who said it, but top draft picks are given every opportunity to prove that they can't play....low draft picks need every opportunity to prove that they can.  Tate's no different.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno, maybe.  Tate doesn't seem to be registering anywhere near the top of the prospect list, so perhaps not.  But coming from a rookie, it'd be understandable.  I am not sure how Cashner is still around.

Cashner is around because we need someone to throw innings. It isn't like guys grow on trees who can go 5 innings every start.  

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's unfortunate to hear, last year when we picked him up it seemed that he had some hope/upside.  Where'd it go wrong?

Just not a fan of the stuff, and really wasn't a fan of what I saw this spring. Very hittable straight fastball. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Cashner is around because we need someone to throw innings. It isn't like guys grow on trees who can go 5 innings every start.  

He can go 5 innings every start, sure.  The other half of the equation you're missing is that going 5 innings in a start and giving your team a chance to win, which doesn't happen when he's on the mound.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He can go 5 innings every start, sure.  The other half of the equation you're missing is that going 5 innings in a start and giving your team a chance to win, which doesn't happen when he's on the mound.

Well the team isn't trying to win games.  But if you have a bunch of guys who get knocked out of the game early Tillman style you aren't going to make it through the season. Someone has to pitch the innings. 

Just now, atomic said:

Well the team isn't trying to win games.  But if you have a bunch of guys who get knocked out of the game early Tillman style you aren't going to make it through the season. Someone has to pitch the innings. 

Nah, they picked him up last year when they were trying to make everyone believe they could win.

You're right, someone's gotta pitch the innings, doesn't mean I can't marvel at how bad they are.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Just not a fan of the stuff, and really wasn't a fan of what I saw this spring. Very hittable straight fastball. 

I know you’re talking about Tate, but this same line could be used for really most of the pitchers on the 40 man. 

Who has swing and miss stuff on the 40 man that we’ve seen?  I’m trying to think. Givens he’s a given. Yac gets swings and kisses right?  Castro sometimes. Bundy.

I feel good where we’re at with position players, but it looks like Elias is building from scratch with the pitching. We knew this was going to be ugly but now we have to watch it. 

Archived