Orioles Wright the Ship, win 5-3

mdbdotcom

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He had a good day and I’m very happy for him.    I wouldn’t trust him to do it consistently.

His first strikeout I thought the pitch was in a hittable spot, but Stanton swung through it.    The second one was very legit though. And he was hitting 96-97.   

He also made a good pitch on Voit, jammed him and then was unlucky. Villar really has no chance at that ball and I felt like he got in Rickard’s way.

Other than that, though, I felt like you did, Wright was lucky because his command wasn’t good. Sucre was setting up low and away and Wright was missing clear across the plate on the inner half. 

Lot of armside run, but just looked like he had no command. Looked better on the last out.

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I missed the telecast as well. I was driving and had the pleasure of listening to John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman for most of the game, so I'm not sure how closely what I heard resembled the game itself.

I did learn that when the NYYs are down two runs, a baserunner followed by a HR will tie the game. Now that gave me something to think about the seventh or eighth time around.

I also got to hear quite a lot about how strange it was that Waldman's headset snapped on the very first day she wrote it. Can you believe that happened? Some high drama there.

Orioles fans should thank God every day that they have never had someone as un-listenable as Waldman.

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I missed the telecast as well. I was driving and had the pleasure of listening to John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman for most of the game, so I'm not sure how closely what I heard resembled the game itself.

I did learn that when the NYYs are down two runs, a baserunner followed by a HR will tie the game. Now that gave me something to think about the seventh or eighth time around.

I also got to hear quite a lot about how strange it was that Waldman's headset snapped on the very first day she wrote it. Can you believe that happened? Some high drama there.

giphy.gif

Living in NY Metro area I am about to watch the Yes Network re-broadcast will be interesting to see how O's pitching did what they did first 8 innings . ( had a commitment could not see game live ).

19 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

It’s possible that Elias saw something wrong with Wright and fixed him. He’s been one of the better players since ST started.

He's hinted a couple times that they found something with his 2-seam.

OOO! Replay at 11:30 on MASN! I'm gonna watch.

6 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

There was a topic over the offseason on here where I said Wright was my pick for most improved player under the new regime and I was laughed off the topic. If TJ Macfarland can become a legit relief pitcher why not Mike?

We're all still laughing... but nervously now...

?

They talked up his new cutter during spring training and it was on full display. He did not have good command with his fastball, nearly going over Stanton's head on the first pitch, but he came back with the cutter and dominated both Stanton and Andujar with this pitch, getting swinging strikes on nasty movement in the zone at 91.

18 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Living in NY Metro area I am about to watch the Yes Network re-broadcast will be interesting to see how O's pitching did what they did first 8 innings . ( had a commitment could not see game live ).

Karns' first two innings are fun and fortuitous! At least he can field...

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

They talked up his new cutter during spring training and it was on full display. He did not have good command with his fastball, nearly going over Stanton's head on the first pitch, but he came back with the cutter and dominated both Stanton and Andujar with this pitch, getting swinging strikes on nasty movement in the zone at 91.

If Mariano was called "Mo", show we call Mike, "Me"?  Asking for Michael Kaye ....?

20 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

There was a topic over the offseason on here. in which I said that Wright was my pick for most improved player under the new regime, and I was laughed off the topic. If T.J. McFarland can become a legit relief pitcher, why not Mike ???

o

Considering who he plays for, he certainly has the platform to try.

Playing for a team that is coming off of a 115-loss season, it's not so much a matter of whether or not Brandon Hyde "trusts" Wright, but rather the fact that there are not many (if any) people in the bullpen that he can decisively say that he DOES trust ........ it's not like he has Rollie Fingers, Sparky Lyle, and Tug McGraw to turn to, although Castro and Givens have had their moments over the last 2 to 3 seasons.

o

Archived