The Chris Davis Effect

milbest77

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I alluded to this in another thread.  While I'm in love with the premise, I think it'll fall into the "small sample size" trap, unless Davis is sitting 50% of the time.  Looks like he might sit vs. lefties, but how much will he sit vs. righties?

Even then, it'll be hard to tell what the net effects are.  That said, I am rooting for the Orioles to be ~.500 or better with him on the bench.

Oh, and I think the name of the thread should be "The Chris Davis-less Effect." 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I alluded to this in another thread.  While I'm in love with the premise, I think it'll fall into the "small sample size" trap, unless Davis is sitting 50% of the time.  Looks like he might sit vs. lefties, but how much will he sit vs. righties?

Even then, it'll be hard to tell what the net effects are.  That said, I am rooting for the Orioles to be ~.500 or better with him on the bench.

Or, Crushless.

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You did, I should’ve mentioned you. Sorry:( Let’s hope this thread turns into an appreciation thread sooner rather than later...

24 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

You did, I should’ve mentioned you. Sorry:( Let’s hope this thread turns into an appreciation thread sooner rather than later...

Nah, no worries, wasn't looking for credit or anything.  Just saying, I'm glad someone else noticed this, too :) 

In regards to the appreciation thread, I will say it's sad that the great moments/years he had here will be inevitably overshadowed by how terrible he's finished.  The Orioles, for a real long time, didn't have a big time masher in their lineup.  You might say that Raffy was the last big time power hitter they had, but even then I still don't think of Raffy as a guy who had big time power for some reason, even though I know that inclination is wrong.  I wish Albert Belle's career wasn't cut short because he was fun to watch, a menacing presence and I think he could have had a few seasons of 40-50 homers here.

But Davis was THAT GUY.  Davis was the guy that could go deep 45-50 times a year.  Those teams aren't as good or as fun without him.

I also think he was criminally underrated at first base, I think he should have had a Gold Glove or two.  Fight me.  I don't know or care what the defensive metrics say.  For a big man, he was very agile around the bag and was able to make good scoops and picks on low throws.  Go to the tape, pull up ANY Manny Machado highlight reel tape you want and you'll see Davis on the other end bailing him out on throws.  I'm not taking away anything from Manny but Davis was on the other end with some remarkable picks and stretches to make the out.

All of this to say is that...no matter how much grief we give him on here (and I'm near the front of the line, I freely admit it), I hope we don't forget the good times.  Because the good times were really good and really fun, fleeting as they were.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nah, no worries, wasn't looking for credit or anything.  Just saying, I'm glad someone else noticed this, too :) 

In regards to the appreciation thread, I will say it's sad that the great moments/years he had here will be inevitably overshadowed by how terrible he's finished.  The Orioles, for a real long time, didn't have a big time masher in their lineup.  You might say that Raffy was the last big time power hitter they had, but even then I still don't think of Raffy as a guy who had big time power for some reason, even though I know that inclination is wrong.  I wish Albert Belle's career wasn't cut short because he was fun to watch, a menacing presence and I think he could have had a few seasons of 40-50 homers here.

But Davis was THAT GUY.  Davis was the guy that could go deep 45-50 times a year.  Those teams aren't as good or as fun without him.

I also think he was criminally underrated at first base, I think he should have had a Gold Glove or two.  Fight me.  I don't know or care what the defensive metrics say.  For a big man, he was very agile around the bag and was able to make good scoops and picks on low throws.  Go to the tape, pull up ANY Manny Machado highlight reel tape you want and you'll see Davis on the other end bailing him out on throws.  I'm not taking away anything from Manny but Davis was on the other end with some remarkable picks and stretches to make the out.

All of this to say is that...no matter how much grief we give him on here (and I'm near the front of the line, I freely admit it), I hope we don't forget the good times.  Because the good times were really good and really fun, fleeting as they were.  

Absolutely. 2012 and the first half of the 2013 season were so much fun to watch and Davis was a huge reason why. And who knows what would have transpired had he not gotten suspended in 2014. Perhaps a big HR or 2 would’ve turned the tide in that ALCS. 

I don’t want this thread to come off as a personal attack on the guy. I feel bad for him in some ways with all the stress I am sure he has on his plate with all his struggles. It’s easy for anyone here to say “Oh boo hoo, he’s making $23 mil a year,” but you never know what another person is going through in his/her personal life outside of his/her profession. 

This is a business and the sooner we can shred his and others’ contracts, the better. 

35 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Absolutely. 2012 and the first half of the 2013 season were so much fun to watch and Davis was a huge reason why. And who knows what would have transpired had he not gotten suspended in 2014. Perhaps a big HR or 2 would’ve turned the tide in that ALCS. 

I don’t want this thread to come off as a personal attack on the guy. I feel bad for him in some ways with all the stress I am sure he has on his plate with all his struggles. It’s easy for anyone here to say “Oh boo hoo, he’s making $23 mil a year,” but you never know what another person is going through in his/her personal life outside of his/her profession. 

This is a business and the sooner we can shred his and others’ contracts, the better. 

I remember when we got him, kinda disappointed.  But then he really came into his own in 2012, a big part of a very fun team.  

I remember September 6th, 2012 because I was headed to Philly for an appointment, the girl I was with at the time was along with me.  As we drove through Baltimore it dawned on me that...hey, the Yankees are in town tonight and...I should cancel the appointment, we should spend the day in Baltimore and get tickets for the game.  Which we did.  

Of course Sept 6th is a special day in Orioles history as it's the date Cal broke Gehrig's streak.  I remember they had a little ceremony before the game, Cal was there, congratulated Buck on a great season.  The Orioles won that game 10-6, Davis hit a homer and the place went nuts.  That game was one of the most fun experiences I've had at a game in person, Reynolds hit 2 homers, Jones hit one, I think Wieters did, too.  Pretty sure the one that Davis hit was for an insurance run but it didn't matter, it was still awesome.  

This thread isn't a personal attack, and I feel bad for him in some ways, too.  No one likes to be terrible at their job.  No one.  I don't care who you are or what you do or how much money you make... if you're bad at your job, your life is probably miserable.  Add to that the pressure of a giant contract, several thousand people dissecting your every move and beating a very dead horse as to just how TERRIBLE you are...it's gotta suck.  No one is writing articles about some guy in a cube farm at some random company in Iowa about how HISTORICALLY BAD THEY ARE AT THEIR JOB.

"But Moose, I don't feel bad for the guy, he's gonna go cry himself to sleep in his piles of money!  Hard for me to feel bad for that guy, ha ha ha!!"

"But Moose, Palmer said he didn't work hard in the offseason!!!1111 I need to see the effortssssssssaaahhhhhh"

Just STFU.

That said, you are right, this is a business.  Unfortunately, I am not sure how likely they'll be able to get rid of that contract, at the very least he's going to be paid by the Orioles for years to come no matter if he's on the roster or not.  For me, getting him off the team provides the chance for Mancini to be moved to 1B/DH, the possibility of Mountcastle to get called up and platoon him with Mancini at 1B/DH and put one of Hays/Stewart/Diaz/Santander in RF or LF.  

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I remember when we got him, kinda disappointed.  But then he really came into his own in 2012, a big part of a very fun team.  

I remember September 6th, 2012 because I was headed to Philly for an appointment, the girl I was with at the time was along with me.  As we drove through Baltimore it dawned on me that...hey, the Yankees are in town tonight and...I should cancel the appointment, we should spend the day in Baltimore and get tickets for the game.  Which we did.  

Of course Sept 6th is a special day in Orioles history as it's the date Cal broke Gehrig's streak.  I remember they had a little ceremony before the game, Cal was there, congratulated Buck on a great season.  The Orioles won that game 10-6, Davis hit a homer and the place went nuts.  That game was one of the most fun experiences I've had at a game in person, Reynolds hit 2 homers, Jones hit one, I think Wieters did, too.  Pretty sure the one that Davis hit was for an insurance run but it didn't matter, it was still awesome.  

This thread isn't a personal attack, and I feel bad for him in some ways, too.  No one likes to be terrible at their job.  No one.  I don't care who you are or what you do or how much money you make... if you're bad at your job, your life is probably miserable.  Add to that the pressure of a giant contract, several thousand people dissecting your every move and beating a very dead horse as to just how TERRIBLE you are...it's gotta suck.  No one is writing articles about some guy in a cube farm at some random company in Iowa about how HISTORICALLY BAD THEY ARE AT THEIR JOB.

"But Moose, I don't feel bad for the guy, he's gonna go cry himself to sleep in his piles of money!  Hard for me to feel bad for that guy, ha ha ha!!"

"But Moose, Palmer said he didn't work hard in the offseason!!!1111 I need to see the effortssssssssaaahhhhhh"

Just STFU.

That said, you are right, this is a business.  Unfortunately, I am not sure how likely they'll be able to get rid of that contract, at the very least he's going to be paid by the Orioles for years to come no matter if he's on the roster or not.  For me, getting him off the team provides the chance for Mancini to be moved to 1B/DH, the possibility of Mountcastle to get called up and platoon him with Mancini at 1B/DH and put one of Hays/Stewart/Diaz/Santander in RF or LF.  

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter!

Archived