Villar and baseball IQ

ChuckS

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Villar and Mancini are the only proven hitters.  The bullpen is bad.  The starters are bad.  I love what they’re doing, but in the end, this is a bad team.  

It will be much more interesting when guys like Hays, Diaz, Mountcastle, Akin and Kremer arrive.

48 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Villar and Mancini are the only proven hitters.  The bullpen is bad.  The starters are bad.  I love what they’re doing, but in the end, this is a bad team.  

It will be much more interesting when guys like Hays, Diaz, Mountcastle, Akin and Kremer arrive.

The bullpen to me is average, not including Araujo who will be down in 12 days or whatever it is. I agree that the starters and the offense are bad, but I think the starters have a chance to be better this year. We are faster to the bullpen, and our new analytics team is really stressing limiting letting the starters go through the 3rd time through the order. The catchers seem to also be much better and sequencing of pitches seems better too, if that's due to the catchers or the analytics department, I don't know. Not to mention the much improved defense.

Villar almost got picked off first in one of the Yankees game. I say keep Villar at 2nd. Sometimes you just have to keep players in roles. I think Villar is just trying too hard on the bases right now. Not going to blame him for cutting that ball off. Why let a ball pass if you can get to it?  He was playing SS last night. SS mentality. 

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Villar almost got picked off first in one of the Yankees game. I say keep Villar at 2nd. Sometimes you just have to keep players in roles. I think Villar is just trying too hard on the bases right now. Not going to blame him for cutting that ball off. Why let a ball pass if you can get to it?  He was playing SS last night. SS mentality. 

I disagree. You have to be aware of where your teammates are positioned. He cut off a ball going to Martin the other night that would have been an out as well. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I disagree. You have to be aware of where your teammates are positioned. He cut off a ball going to Martin the other night that would have been an out as well. 

Come on now. O’s win 4 of 5. Happy about that. Not worried about mistakes by a player. 

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Come on now. O’s win 4 of 5. Happy about that. Not worried about mistakes by a player. 

Sure, no reason to critique anything about the team when they are enjoying a nice little winning streak.  Let's just be happy!

I am worried about mistakes by a player because that is the one thing that can be corrected.  Can't correct the talent.  Can't correct the fact that we are destined for 90-110 losses this season. 

He's a lot more Melvin Mora than Tim Beckam.

Villar does have some mental lapses on the base paths and will occasionally lose focus in blow out games, but he's not a low I player like Beckam who didn't even know how to position his feet on tag plays or where to line up for cutoffs after a 1000s of professional games.

Archived