Aruajo DFA'ed (RHP Matt Wotherspoon promoted)

Legend_Of_Joey

Just now, atomic said:

Most likely the conversation was whom were they were going to release/option once they activated Cobb on Thursday.  When they decided it was Pedro they said if we are going to release him on Thursday why not just do it today so we can get somebody up here for 1 day to be available during the bullpen game.  

My point is a getaway day in Canada would be a pain to get a player up there last second.  

That may have been the plan. 

Possible Wotherspoon could be DFA’s in the not too distant future as well. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why now? Why didn't this happen in ST? 

Just pitch him. Araujo could absolutely give you an inning or two today. They could keep him for 10 days. How many games could Araujo have possibly cost us? 1 or 2? 

C'mon. I don't agree with the move. 

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

Well that isn't even the point.  You will have to protect more players next fall.  So are you going to keep Pedro on the 40 man over them then?  Really releasing Pedro is the smart move. Keeping guys who can't contribute on the team is the dumb move. 

Then you make the move when you need the 40-man roster spot, you will have more information (almost a full season of Aruajo pitching this year at the minor league level) as to whether he is worth keeping. The only way this move makes sense is if you think that Aruajo is the worst player on the 40-man roster right now. I think it is tough to make that case.

28 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Why wouldn't the Cubs take him back? He wouldn't have to go on their 40-man roster if they took him back.

Minor league teams have roster limits too.  As of the 2nd, the Cubs needed to cut ~11 pitchers in the upper minors to get their rosters down to 25. 

https://www.thecubreporter.com/cubs-organizational-depth-chart-spring-training

3 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Why now? Why didn't this happen in ST? 

Just pitch him. Araujo could absolutely give you an inning or two today. They could keep him for 10 days. How many games could Araujo have possibly cost us? 1 or 2? 

C'mon. I don't agree with the move. 

It's a little odd, which is why I wonder if they've reached an agreement of sorts with the Cubs. Or some other team, perhaps.

Odd timing, but so be it. He was much better last Spring through about the second week of May than he is today. A year ago, his fastball velocity was low to mid 90’s. Buck over-pitched him a bit, and I think his injury was legitimate. I do not believe he is healthy now. I saw him throw better when he pitched against the Red Sox in Sarasota the last week of Spring. But the other night, he just looked like he was hurt. 

Too bad, Pedro. Best of luck to you!

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

It can't take a ton to pry this guy from the Cubs right? Some cash? Some international slots? A low A 1B or something?

He has to go through waivers before he makes it back to the Cubs.  

Just now, interloper said:

It can't take a ton to pry this guy from the Cubs right? Some cash? Some international slots? A low A 1B or something?

Don't you dare talk about trading Zoellner!

I think he's the very definition of fungible asset.  I wouldn't exert any effort to retain him.

48 minutes ago, weams said:

image.png.c431837d97c0469a1b9a4153b1b29d2e.png

Wotherspoon

Good K rate for Wotherspoon. He must have really impressed in MILB ST. Either that or he’s just a sacrificial innings eater lamb. I think they see something in him. 

Pedro was a dart throw. We took a flyer on him. Elias obviously saw enough. 

Elias’ first “win now” move. Haha

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good K rate for Wotherspoon. He must have really impressed in MILB ST. Either that or he’s just a sacrificial innings eater lamb. I think they see something in him. 

Pedro was a dart throw. We took a flyer on him. Elias obviously saw enough. 

Elias’ first “win now” move. Haha

Yeah I think they thought they could sneak by but at the end of the day it was hurting the roster and therefore could hurt the guys you want to develop. At least he wasn't tied to his initial decision. Better to change your mind now then get burned by sticking to it at all costs. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Also I think this may mean they keep the opener going. Seems to be no indication otherwise. Need arms you can trust to soak up multiple innings. 

The use of an opener doesn't change anything.  Not as if the starters are going eight plus.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

The use of an opener doesn't change anything.  Not as if the starters are going eight plus.

You have to have pitchers you trust to go multiple innings. Araujo is a project. Big difference getting 2-3 innings from Karns and 6 like we got last two nights.  

I just think circumstances changed.  

Archived