Aruajo DFA'ed (RHP Matt Wotherspoon promoted)

Legend_Of_Joey

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You have to have pitchers you trust to go multiple innings. Araujo is a project. Big difference getting 2-3 innings from Karns and 6 like we got last two nights.  

I just think circumstances changed.  

You can have an opener just for the first.  Same number of innings need to be covered.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting timing.  I get it, we need another fresh arm in the bullpen the next couple of days, and cutting Pedro was the most direct way to get there.  I guess they didn't think he was worth more maneuvering to keep on the roster for the next week and a half.

If it came down to no other way than cut a rule 5 guy, Aruajo was definitely the correct one to pick out of the group.

34 minutes ago, Dale said:

Minor league teams have roster limits too.  As of the 2nd, the Cubs needed to cut ~11 pitchers in the upper minors to get their rosters down to 25. 

https://www.thecubreporter.com/cubs-organizational-depth-chart-spring-training

I don't know if this is true, but it is interesting for sure. Maybe Elias did the number crunching and just doesn't see a path for the Cubs to keep him? Seems implausible, but you never know. More likely that he was just a guy that we don't really value at all at this point. If we do value him, I'd guess a trade is on the way. I'm not thinking that's the case though.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Wow.  Begs the question:  "Why now?"

Great question. I'm all for this move since I would have not have gone North with him out of spring training, but seems strange that one awful outing, and yes it was absolutely awful, got him DFA'd with ten days or so to go before they could have optioned him and kept him?

Listening to Dave Johnson the other night when Aruajo pitched, He doesn't have much movement or velo on his fastball, so Im guessing the O's decided to cut bait with him on the 40 man. Its not like he has a mid 90's arm that can be a backend bullpen type of guy. Aruajo's pitches just haven't developed since the O's picked him last year. 

52 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Then you make the move when you need the 40-man roster spot, you will have more information (almost a full season of Aruajo pitching this year at the minor league level) as to whether he is worth keeping. The only way this move makes sense is if you think that Aruajo is the worst player on the 40-man roster right now. I think it is tough to make that case.

Who, besides Chris Davis, is worse on the 40-man roster than Araujo?

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good K rate for Wotherspoon. He must have really impressed in MILB ST. Either that or he’s just a sacrificial innings eater lamb. I think they see something in him. 

Pedro was a dart throw. We took a flyer on him. Elias obviously saw enough. 

Elias’ first “win now” move. Haha

Well, I couldn't for the life or me get why Wotherspoon was getting so many chance but now it makes a little more sense. We have to remember, Elias and company have statcast data on him and perhaps it show something we din't know about. I really didn't pay a ton of attention to him this spring since he was never an official invite to camp, but it is interesting that he jumped over Phillips, Ynoa, and Ramirez (yes I know Ynoa is not on the 40-man) who either have major league experience and or good spring this year.

I'm probably more surprised it wasn't Ynoa or Ramirez because they could have provided length tonight in a opener game and hopefully saved the bullpen a bit.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, I couldn't for the life or me get why Wotherspoon was getting so many chance but now it makes a little more sense. We have to remember, Elias and company have statcast data on him and perhaps it show something we din't know about. I really didn't pay a ton of attention to him this spring since he was never an official invite to camp, but it is interesting that he jumped over Phillips, Ynoa, and Ramirez (yes I know Ynoa is not on the 40-man) who either have major league experience and or good spring this year.

I'm probably more surprised it wasn't Ynoa or Ramirez because they could have provided length tonight in a opener game and hopefully saved the bullpen a bit.

Is it because they are committed to those guys starting at AAA and are going to use this last spot in the pen as more of a revolving door? 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Is it because they are committed to those guys starting at AAA and are going to use this last spot in the pen as more of a revolving door? 

Could be. We really don't know because we haven't seen how Elias works his roster yet. 

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Who, besides Chris Davis, is worse on the 40-man roster than Araujo?

Well, Wotherspoon for one long term, in all likelihood. I would probably drop Hanser Alberto, Yefry Ramirez and Austin Wynns before Araujo as well. Nothing wrong with Wynns but he is a glove first catcher on a team that already has two glove first catchers on the 25-man roster. Unless he is going to dethrone Severino or Sucre when healthy, I think four catchers on the 40-man roster is excessive.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Well, Wotherspoon for one. I would probably drop Hanser Alberto, Yefry Ramirez and Austin Wynns before Araujo as well. Nothing wrong with Wynns but he is a glove first catcher on a team that already has two glove first catchers on the 25-man roster. Unless he is going to dethrone Severino or Sucre when healthy, I think four catchers on the 40-man roster is excessive.

Well I guess Elias disagrees. :D

As I've said before, I would not have gone North with Araujo since I didn't think he was worth keeping around since he was a one-trick pony with such a below average fastball that he would always be a major home run allowing threat.

As for Hanser Alberto, you may see him actually get a decent amount of playing time this year though I'd like to see Drew Jackson get more reps at 2B if the Orioles are going to move Villar over when Martin is rested.

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Great question. I'm all for this move since I would have not have gone North with him out of spring training, but seems strange that one awful outing, and yes it was absolutely awful, got him DFA'd with ten days or so to go before they could have optioned him and kept him?

4-1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

4-1

Well I hope they aren't making moves based off their 4-1 record. I'm guessing there was a lot of eternal debate on whether to keep Araujo or not and they decided why not?

However, after realizing they were down to 3 relievers and he was one of them, the fact that he looked like a bad A-ball pitcher put other pitchers in risk of having to be used (like say Castro who started to warm up as Bleier struggled).

So if there wasn't enough support to think he's a nugget one day, why have him mucking it up at the big league level? 

Archived