Dan Straily 2019

interloper

1 hour ago, andrewochs615 said:

Isn't he getting his 5 million from the Marlins since they just released him? If he signs a new deal does his 5 million go away?

I would think that whoever gets Straily just has to pay the minimum major league salary with the Marlins paying the rest.

2 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

Isn't he getting his 5 million from the Marlins since they just released him? If he signs a new deal does his 5 million go away?

His contract with the Marlins was not guaranteed, so they only had to pay him for 45 days. He is a free agent and can sign for anything.

2 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

No.  When an arb-eligible player is tendered a contract and the tender offer is accepted, as in this case, the team owes the player a percentage of the contract amount if they release the player prior to the season.  I think it is somewhere around 20 or 25%.  In Strally's case, the Marlins owe him somewhere around a million dollars or a little more, and he is free to sign with another team as a free agent.  Does anyone here know the exact percentage?

4 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

They only have to pay him $1.2 million, which is a percentage of his contract. The rest they get to keep. So 3.8 million would match what he would’ve gotten from Miami if he remained with them, so I presume that the offers are around there.