Keep calm...we're not a good team

Bahama O's Fan

12 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

Kinda feel like crabs fighting at the bottom of the barrel here, but we’re better than Miami. And maybe Kansas City.

Maybe. Mancini and Villar truly are the only two position players on the 25-man that are truly MLB caliber. The pitching staff is borderline an abomination.

Granted, that’s part of rebuilding, which is why I’m not worked up over it. This year (should) be the toughest year of it, because it’ll probably be July or August before we see the young guys that COULD be the beginning of the next core make their debuts.

As it stands right now, I think it’s a safe bet that no one on the 25-man roster as of today will be on the 25-man the next time the Orioles end the season with a winning record.

The fact that we had to use Hanser in the bullpen this early in the season - in a 9 inning game - even with the team making moves to lengthen the pen - is an indication of the disasterous roster the O's have.

It was weird - talking to a few Baltimorean business associates last week - they thought the team was just fine.  I told them no - they're going to lose 110 plus games this year - they thought I was crazy.  

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The fact that we had to use Hanser in the bullpen this early in the season - in a 9 inning game - even with the team making moves to lengthen the pen - is an indication of the disasterous roster the O's have.

It was weird - talking to a few Baltimorean business associates last week - they thought the team was just fine.  I told them no - they're going to lose 110 plus games this year - they thought I was crazy.  

Arajuo on the team combined with Elias not making moves, has resulted in the pen being gassed 9 games into the season. 

Elias is in full tank mode. Credit Hyde and Mancini for the 4–1 start. 

We all knew we were going to lose, but break out the Major League cut out of Elias because this team has to overcome their “Snotty nose, rich kid GM, that could only get into business school at Yale”. We have to have what three straight #1 draft picks to win?  Idk. This probably should’ve been in a game thread. So my apologies. 

8 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Maybe. Mancini and Villar truly are the only two position players on the 25-man that are truly MLB caliber. The pitching staff is borderline an abomination.

Granted, that’s part of rebuilding, which is why I’m not worked up over it. This year (should) be the toughest year of it, because it’ll probably be July or August before we see the young guys that COULD be the beginning of the next core make their debuts.

As it stands right now, I think it’s a safe bet that no one on the 25-man roster as of today will be on the 25-man the next time the Orioles end the season with a winning record.

For me - there's rebuilding and then there's straight up just not putting together a competent roster. Just over a week into the season, they are struggling to get through a game with the pitching they have. They had to have a position player pitch yesterday in a nine inning game. That's not fair to Hanser Alberto - who could injure himself and derail his career doing something he isn't trained to do. That's not fair to the Yankees - who had a batter get hit in the elbow. That's not fair to the fans - who paid hard-earned money to see an honest attempt at a competitive baseball game. And it's not fair to the competitive integrity of the league either.

I think it was pretty clear at the season's start that the MLB roster as constructed did not have enough major-league-caliber pitchers to get through a season. That's on Elias. Luckily, Straily fell in their lap - while terrible yesterday, he should provide innings.

But, Cobb and Bundy are both injury prone. If they go down, who replaces them? Mike Wright? 

14 hours ago, atomic said:

I dont see us being better than anyone. We have Cobb as our one starter with talent.  We have Villar and Mancini as our only major league quality position players.   I thought we had Castro and Givens in the pen but even they are looking bad.

We should have resigned Jones.  It is going to get ugly out there.

I have to admit, if this is all it was gonna take to placate you, even though I disagree....I'da resorted to voodoo to make it happen.

But you have no idea what ugly is, if you think Adam Jones is what we needed to prevent it.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, theocean said:

For me - there's rebuilding and then there's straight up just not putting together a competent roster. Just over a week into the season, they are struggling to get through a game with the pitching they have. They had to have a position player pitch yesterday in a nine inning game. That's not fair to Hanser Alberto - who could injure himself and derail his career doing something he isn't trained to do. That's not fair to the Yankees - who had a batter get hit in the elbow. That's not fair to the fans - who paid hard-earned money to see an honest attempt at a competitive baseball game. And it's not fair to the competitive integrity of the league either.

The team is 4-5 and only two of the losses were non-competitive.   We’re one hanging slider from being 5-4.    It’s going to be a tough season, but I’m not going to overreact to one embarrassing loss.   

The biggest concern for me at the moment is that some of our bullpen guys are not looking as steady as they have been in the past (Castro and Bleier in particular).     

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The team is 4-5 and only two of the losses were non-competitive.   We’re one hanging slider from being 5-4.    It’s going to be a tough season, but I’m not going to overreact to one embarrassing loss.   

The biggest concern for me at the moment is that some of our bullpen guys are not looking as steady as they have been in the past (Castro and Bleier in particular).     

I'm not concerned about the win-loss record. I'm concerned about a pitching staff that is already showing signs of running on fumes and a rookie manager who has nothing to work with.

This has been going on for more than one game - and it's clear that Elias is worried about it too because they just cut a promising Rule 5 pick a week into the season so they could add an extra pitcher.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theocean said:

I'm not concerned about the win-loss record. I'm concerned about a pitching staff that is already showing signs of running on fumes and a rookie manager who has nothing to work with.

This has been going on for more than one game - and it's clear that Elias is worried about it too because they just cut a promising Rule 5 pick a week into the season so they could add an extra pitcher.

I think the pitching will stabilize.    I’ve seen worse Orioles rotations than Cobb/Cashner/Bundy/Hess/Straily.    The fact that we’ve had two bullpen games in the first 9 put a lot of undue stress on the pen.   We need to get Straily worked into a starting role, and we need Bundy to do better than 3.2 innings per start.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think the pitching will stabilize.    I’ve seen worse Orioles rotations than Cobb/Cashner/Bundy/Hess/Straily.    The fact that we’ve had two bullpen games in the first 9 put a lot of undue stress on the pen.   We need to get Straily worked into a starting role, and we need Bundy to do better than 3.2 innings per start.   

I don't know if I've seen worse.  I admire the way Bundy competes, but I just don't think he can get the job done anymore.  I hope I'm wrong, because there's probably nobody on the team that's easier to root for.    

The thing that amazes me is that people are just catching on to the fact that this is a bad team. It was never meant to be more than a bad team of young, athletic baseball players with great attitudes who allow our best prospects to develop in the minors. Sure, changes will be made, but it will be a few months at least before we see anything more than cosmetic changes.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:15 AM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This team is overmatched but they have fight in them. Last year’s team was checked out in the first month of the season. 

We're only 9 games in. Lets see how much they are into the game when we're 10-30 at the beginning of May.  

• Upvote 1